Firewall Appliance QuadCore, 6GB RAM, PCIe - Sophos XG

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
Hi guys,

as the range of Qotoms, Zotacs, etc has a very vast breath by now, I'd like to know what appliances you are using for your firewall builds.
More specifically, the appliance I'm scouting shall serve as stand-alone device together with a virtualized copy of Sophos XG.
As the Home version is limited to 4 cores and 6GB RAM, I'd size the appliance accordingly.
A PCIe slot for 10G networking would be great but is no must.

Looking forward to your suggestions

EDIT: I'm not specifically looking for a Sophos device, very happy with a TMM-based build

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
This may offer you some ideas on the hardware specs/performance needed. XG 135 Rev .3 performs nearly non-limiting at 1gig circuit with NGFW running (880Mbps) using Intel Denverton C3558 cpu and 6gb ram.

On the other hand, it looks like Sophos highly optimizes their software for their own hardware; some complaint about the significantly worse performance of software XG installs.

Last edited:

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
If you’re looking for 10Gb module check out the checkpoint CPAC ones. They are also compatible. I picked up a two port 10Gb module for $89 a few months back. The only downside was that it was black instead of white.

I run an SG330 and it’s been fantastic.Most of these devices are all made by Lanner, Portwell, or Caswell.

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
I had a spare Dell R230 so I've installed Sophos XG on that server. Not too bad with power but quite happy I did that because I got a 1Gbps fiber to the home internet and it can handle all of that even with all of the rules and filtering (IPS) active.

MrGuvernment

Nov 16, 2020
PCEngines APU2 4G/3 Ports running PFSense, however selling that to a friend as i want to go 10Gb at home internally for my lab and main rigs ,so got a nice deal on a HP Gen 8 server 1U so moving over to that instead.

Last edited: