Firefox vunerability, Sourceforge installer contains malware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Hi
Firstly, when trying to reinstall Filezilla, I found Sourceforge installer is infected with a 3rd party malware that attempts browser hack. (I suggest downloading Filezilla from Cnet or another provider)

I was about to reinstall Firefox when I came across venerability flaw:
0-day attack on Firefox users stole password and key data: Patch now! | Ars Technica

for users of Firefox and Sourceforge downloads, I thought to pass this on.

Cheers

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm tired of the latest version crashing again :( stupid plugin container bullshit again, every-other version !!! practically...

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Further to Sourceforge installer malware. Disinfected using antivirus. Malicious files continued to be detected with 'Unhackme' and 'Windows Defender'. I'd suggest running all three applications to eradicate this pesty malware as seems persistent. (Make sure you check temp folder.)

Reactions: lmk

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Reinstalled Firefox and dreaded malware 'istartsurf' still in my computer and redirected me to istartsurf website on relaunching firefox.

Gosh I hate malware!
Sourceforge should be held accountable for any malicious actions of this malware.

Attempted remedy I got off internet:

Start in safe mode.
Windows Key + R
run: %appdata%
search for 'istartsurf' in appdata
deleted 'istartsurf' XML file

hopefully this will fix it.
Will rerun antivirus, windows defender and unhackme when I get the time.

I hope this helps others.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Update: after removing 'istartsurf' from %appdata% location. Unhackme, antivirus and windows defender did not identify any malicious files.
The ultimate test will be when I reinstall Firefox. FYI.

Reactions: Kristian