Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shpitz461

Sep 29, 2017
Does anyone know that Tyan S8030 supports engineering samples? Can it be overclocked?
ES or QS chip?
  • If ES (ZS/2S), it all depends on the AGESA version more-or-less, see 1st post (hint: Agesa < 1.0.0.3)
  • If QS (retail SKU ends with -04) should work with any board that supports 7002 series Epycs.

Reactions: Bert

nineyou

Oct 9, 2022
ES or QS chip?
  • If ES (ZS/2S), it all depends on the AGESA version more-or-less, see 1st post (hint: Agesa < 1.0.0.3)
  • If QS (retail SKU ends with -04) should work with any board that supports 7002 series Epycs.
Yes, but the oldest BIOS version Agesa I can find on Tyan official website is 1.0.0.6, so I'm not sure whether this motherboard can be overclocked

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Yes, but the oldest BIOS version Agesa I can find on Tyan official website is 1.0.0.6, so I'm not sure whether this motherboard can be overclocked
mainboards that came with rome support generaly don't have old AGESA, if there is no naples revision the old BIOS can get from you are out of luck.
only QS then, depends on the VRM power stages.

pututu

May 7, 2016
hardforum.com
Off topic but I'm wondering if anyone has taken a shot at overclocking the Epyc milan ES/QS. There are a few Milan QS for sale in ebay right now.

shpitz461

Sep 29, 2017
It's not only an overclocking issue, but if you try an ES chip in a board with BIOS with AGESA > 1.0.0.3 the CPU will not even boot/post.

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
Hi all,
I started using EPYC for my workstation. I saw this thread and was wondering what some of my options may be. I have an H11SSL-I and a 7302p. Are there any 16 core QS part numbers I can purchase? Basically looking for an alternate (cheaper) upgrade path vs buying a 7F52. My 7302p stays pretty much locked at 3.3GHz but I'd like to get my single core speed as fast as I can.

Just simply couldn't afford Threadripper Pro and I got into this build sub $500 + RAM (which would have cost the same anyway)

Last edited:

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Hi all,
I started using EPYC for my workstation. I saw this thread and was wondering what some of my options may be. I have an H11SSL-I and a 7302p. Are there any 16 core QS part numbers I can purchase? Basically looking for an alternate (cheaper) upgrade path vs buying a 7F52. My 7302p stays pretty much locked at 3.3GHz but I'd like to get my single core speed as fast as I can.

Just simply couldn't afford Threadripper Pro and I got into this build sub $500 + RAM (which would have cost the same anyway)
Smallest QS is the 32-core which is around $800, but proceed with caution: we're pretty data deficient for running the 32-core QS at high clocks and voltages for extended periods of time and its unclear if they'll degrade.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I have lots of hours of high duty cycle run time at ~3.4-3.5 GHz on a 32 core QS (-04)

Actually It's now my smallest machine and I'm debating liquidating it, I should have bought a pair but I tiptoed in.

Subatomic

Mar 23, 2020
Pair of 100-000000054-04 on H11DSi-NT here. I can run these chips at 3.5 GHz all core, but I needed to mount a fan over the VRMs or these would overheat. The cpus themselves are water cooled with a custom loop.

Reactions: Bert

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
but I needed to mount a fan over the VRMs or these would overheat
note the VRM power-stages are soldered on the PCB and heaten up the CHOKEs, the CHOKEs are getting hot too.
from that point of view this heatsink typesare not very smart done.
vrmsback.jpg

Last edited:

scars1

Jan 29, 2023
Linux tools can be modified, however I'm working on a better detection, since Epyc and Desktop Threadripper 3000 series (Castle Peak) share the same basic cpuid, so another more complicated detection mechanism should be implemented - at least socket type detection is needed.

If you want, you can try the modified code, however for now it works on Epyc or on TR - not on both at the same time, since command IDs are different.
Attached is the modified version of my Zenstates-Linux fork: irusanov/ZenStates-Linux

It had been tested on a ES Epyc and it worked, but this version is unofficial until I sort out the cpu detection. Ofcourse, as always, everyone is free to contribute.

You can first try to set a different frequency and if it works, proceed following the guide and mess with rest of the things. For the test, please use the CLI, then you can use the GUI as well.

Code:
sudo ./zenstates.py --no-gui --oc-frequency=2000
Frequency works in 25MHz steps.
Be extremely careful with voltage. Make sure you have something to monitor it with - preferably a multimeter to check the actual voltage. Zenmonitor seems to be the best currently available on Linux, but I'm not sure if it displays correct info on Epyc: ocerman/zenmonitor

MD5: 0c2fe08b1dd06bfb29f834206d95ba18
How to set core voltage?

DaTruAndi

Mar 10, 2023
I am late to the party, trying to overclock Dual Epyc Milan 7763 ES on ASRock Rack ROME2D16-2T
and tried working with this version of the tool GitHub - SKlayer/EPYC-Overclock
will want to switch to Linux possibly later (Proxmox) but right now learning and tinkering with Win11

The behavior of the tool seems a bit inconsistent to me and sometimes I get only half the speed that I did without the tool.
Sometimes I was able to boost it by 10%-20%. The core speeds (looked at in Core Temp) seem correctly.
Testing with CineBench
Do I need a modded BIOS? If so for what aspect? It seems to temporarily draw more than the ES standard power limit. So the tool seems to do something.

Scores I am seeing 74666 unmodded.
Got it to 85k once, but sometimes it dipped to 34k.
About the presets:
High Multicore presets seem to set the PPT/TDC limits to 0 and EDC to 30 and a higher All-Core Freq with "Lock Frequencies" being deactivated.
The other presets (Best of Both worlds and High Single-Core) have Lock Freq activated and have specific PPT/TDC/EDC limits of 1500, 700, 700.

So the core questions:
1) Am I trying the right tool? Should I try another one?
2) Do I need to find a modified BIOS? If so, for what / what will be my limitations if I can't find one?
3) What settings do you suggest to tinker with to get best performance within safe limits - if not for this tool, then another?
4) If anybody has dual EPYC 7763 (ES), what are good attainable perf numbers to aim for? Multicore / single core.

Have Enermax Liqtech II 360 coolers (supposedly the new batch without issues) on both and do not seem to have temperature problems.

EDIT: I am not sure if I can trust the "Core Temp" power readings. It reported sometimes power draws of over 300W for situations where the performance was significantly lower than for other settings, while sometimes only readings in the low 100W range had a similar or at times better performance.

Last edited:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
you scores seems low, especially low unmodded, might need some bios tweaks. what are the clocks stock during all core load, i assume the ES is running lower than Retail, since they easily hit 110k+ on the retail launch.

i cant comment on exact settings for milan, didnt know it even worked for them, but i can say i hit 100k with 2x7742s, and the whole system drew close to 1000w if i remember correctly.
the biggest bottleneck on the server boards are usually the VRM which are tiny on all the boards, they are not made to go over specs, and overclocking does exactly that, i had to put a waterblock on mine, but also fans directly at the vrm could help.

the max i could get stable without sudden low scorres was 1.18v 32.5 multi for an r23 of 100153.
stock with some biostweaks i got 85k.
XGI to 18x nps at one or 4. and possibly some other tweaks i dont remember. there are some decent amd documentation on bios optimizations floating around

DaTruAndi

Mar 10, 2023
you scores seems low, especially low unmodded, might need some bios tweaks. what are the clocks stock during all core load, i assume the ES is running lower than Retail, since they easily hit 110k+ on the retail launch.

i cant comment on exact settings for milan, didnt know it even worked for them, but i can say i hit 100k with 2x7742s, and the whole system drew close to 1000w if i remember correctly.
the biggest bottleneck on the server boards are usually the VRM which are tiny on all the boards, they are not made to go over specs, and overclocking does exactly that, i had to put a waterblock on mine, but also fans directly at the vrm could help.

the max i could get stable without sudden low scorres was 1.18v 32.5 multi for an r23 of 100153.
stock with some biostweaks i got 85k.
XGI to 18x nps at one or 4. and possibly some other tweaks i dont remember. there are some decent amd documentation on bios optimizations floating around
They are 1.6 stock low to 2.6 high I think. I would already be happy to get to the retail levels of performance. Maybe just a matter of the right settings?
The tool I am using does not have multipliers listed but target all-core freq.
It offers
All-Core Freq - with "Lock Freq" checkbox
CPU Volt
Dual Socket (checkbox)

Limits for PPT (W), TDC (A), EDC (A).

Maybe not the right tool? I tried other tools, either they seem identical in settings, some say it's an unsupported processor.
And with some it's no clear to me what to do as it has too many options :) (eg SMU Debug Tool)

Last edited:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
They are 1.6 stock low to 2.6 high I think.
The tool I am using does not have multipliers listed but target all-core freq.
It offers
All-Core Freq - with "Lock Freq"
CPU Volt
Dual Socket

Limits for PPT (W), TDC (A), EDC (A).

Maybe not the right tool? I tried other tools, either they seem identical in settings, some say it's an unsupported processor.
And with some it's no clear to me what to do as it has too many options :) (eg SMU Debug Tool)
Try to hit stock all core Freq first, think it's around 2.8 2.9 during cinebench.
Also set the bios to power mode, not performance ( yes power is faster) and power target to max or put in 300w.
do you have all channels populated?

It's also possible the Milan es are just weaker than retail, while the 7742 -03 where as fast and faster overclocked.

DaTruAndi

Mar 10, 2023
Try to hit stock all core Freq first, think it's around 2.8 2.9 during cinebench.
Also set the bios to power mode, not performance ( yes power is faster) and power target to max or put in 300w.
do you have all channels populated?

It's also possible the Milan es are just weaker than retail, while the 7742 -03 where as fast and faster overclocked.
Have to check my BIOS settings, have not seen this yet.
As for the clock speed: I have not seen any tool touching the base-clock though.
RAM: Yes, 16 x 64GB

Don’t see a “power mode”. I only can do normal operation, or OC with some settings including changing the base clock speed up from 1600mhz. The other settings I am trying for figure out.
CCD Control : Auto, 2 CCDs, 3 CCDs, 4 CCDs, 6 CCDs
Core Control : Auto, ONE (1+0) , TWO (2+0), THREE (3+0), … SEVEN (7+0)

Also it seems stock according to bios the CPUs it runs at 1.1 V that may explain why the modification to run at 1.05 V resulted in lower total speed?

Last edited: