Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shpitz461

Sep 29, 2017
Thanks @RolloZ170, that's what I thought :)

I'll read about them again, I'm very curious as to what this ROMED8 can do.

I also have a thermal camera (this one: Flir One Pro) I can take heat signature pictures with, once I start going deeper into my testing.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I guess I was just asking if it had been checked. ExecutableFix gave us this awesome capability but hasn't really checked in much since, although I've seen him elsewhere on the forums. I presume he would have let us know if it was applicable or hopefully others would have tried and reported their results. But as far as this thread is concerned it's been like Milan ES doesn't exist, no discussion.

Anyways, cheers.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
But as far as this thread is concerned it's been like Milan ES doesn't exist, no discussion.
AMD has a completely different policy when it comes to ES CPU, very few if any ES / QS are distributed.
Rome QS has become so expensive that it is no longer worth it.

irgen

Jan 14, 2021
Found 2S1404E2VJUG5 at a decent price, could someone confirm these work on h11ssl single socket? And what o/c i can get out of it.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Found 2S1404E2VJUG5 at a decent price, could someone confirm these work on h11ssl single socket? And what o/c i can get out of it.
search each page of this thread for " 2S1404E2VJUG5 " and you will find the goods and the bads.
what you can get ? its a silicon lottery, with a good cpu the VRMs are the limiter. good luck !

irgen

Jan 14, 2021
search each page of this thread for " 2S1404E2VJUG5 " and you will find the goods and the bads.
what you can get ? its a silicon lottery, with a good cpu the VRMs are the limiter. good luck !
Thank you indeed i found mentions abt. that overcloked 2s TDP is hardly manageable at all. At least for 64 core sku

grsychckn

Feb 26, 2019
I'm in need of some help and I'm sorry to hijack but I'm trying to finish my build that's taken over a year and I'll be sending the final build to Wendell at L1Techs for a video.

I have an H11DSi-NT v2.0 with 2X ZS1406E2VJUG5 ES CPUs. I used the custom Rome BIOS made by @ExecutableFix (page 1). I also have Windows Server 2022 installed. I'm beginning to believe though that one (if not both) of the CPUs have a problem with the PCIe lanes. My GPU (6900XT) will display during POST but as soon as Windows begins to load, the GPU output continues to display the SuperMicro splash screen. I'm attaching an image below. I've tried playing with IOMMU, 4G Decode, and primary video out BIOS settings but none seem to work.

20220101_100051.jpg

Furthermore, once in Windows Device Manager fails to show the GPU.

A few more things that are relevant:
1. GPU is using a Gen 3 riser cable because the video card must be oriented vertically.
2. This is an open-loop build that is complete and very complex to drain/disassemble.
3. I have another PCIe riser (x4 w/ USB cable) for my sound card/front panel. These also fail to be identified in Device Manager.

I don't want to break down the loop but I know there comes a point where I have to. I regret not building the OS with the GPU while on air, but I did build the OS on air without the GPU and just assumed it would work since I got the OS installed with the CPUs/MB.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
think you just got to test the parts individually, and test with another gpu maybe in another slot.
also does the pc work as expected on internal vga? looks like it boots at least.

also from memory you dont need a modded bios on v2.0 boards, but its been a awhile since i played with the h11, either way looks like yours boot so that shouldnt be the problem but if nothing else works could try a different bios.

Reactions: grsychckn

shpitz461

Sep 29, 2017
I think the modded bios is needed not only for microcode but also cause of AGESA version (needs to be < 1.0.0.3 for ES chips iirc) but i'm not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

Feb 26, 2019
think you just got to test the parts individually, and test with another gpu maybe in another slot.
also does the pc work as expected on internal vga? looks like it boots at least.

also from memory you dont need a modded bios on v2.0 boards, but its been a awhile since i played with the h11, either way looks like yours boot so that shouldnt be the problem but if nothing else works could try a different bios.
Thank you. Yes, the PC works as expected using internal VGA (still no PCIe GPU detected in Device Manager).

Have you tried using the onboard graphics as the primary to see if you get anything in Windows?
I've tried onboard and offboard in the BIOS but both behave the same.

I think the modded bios is needed not only for microcode but also cause of AGESA version (needs to be < 1.0.0.3 for ES chips iirc) but i'm not sure.
I'm not sure on this - I can try any version someone thinks could help though.

Update: I went ahead and broke down the loop. I am in the process now of refilling the loop with just the monoblock installed so I can test one of my other air-cooled GPUs. I will update in a few hours.