Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

handyserv

Jan 18, 2021
I had this exact same problem and it ended up being the SSD overheating; the M.2 slot is right under the GPU so if the GPU is even a little loaded, it exhausts hot air over the drive and cooks it. In my case HWInfo64 showed the drive idling at 90C and spiking to 100+ when the GPU was under load.
I assume this means the nvme is your OS drive? Did you have any issues booting from the nvme? I'll be running linux if that matters

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
So this is less overclocking and more hardware support. But I have an H11DSi-NT with dual EPYC 7642s. I understand these are not overclockable per say, but you can get more clocks with certain power settings.

I’ve been running it at cTDP 240W, on Determinism Performance. This gives me about 2.785GHz clock speeds. I heard that Power gives a bit better performance so I changed it to Power. Ran about 3.05GHz for a few minutes before triggering an alarm on the board. Checked the IPMI and VRM temps for CPU1 exceeded 100C and triggered some alarm and throttling. I tried to limit the cTDP to 230W and it still hit 100C eventually. So for now I’m back to performance setting and ~80C VRM temps.

the case is a Supermicro CSE-743 with super quiet fans. So not super high end airflow, but it still moves a good bit of air. The CPU coolers are the Supermicro 4U coolers and the CPU temps are adequate.

so what’s the solution most people are coming up with on the H11DSi VRMs? Is adding a 40mm fan sufficient? 2 fans? Are there any watercooling solutions? What has worked for you guys with overclocked high core count CPUs on this board?

irgen

Jan 14, 2021
so what’s the solution most people are coming up with on the H11DSi VRMs? Is adding a 40mm fan sufficient? 2 fans? Are there any watercooling solutions? What has worked for you guys with overclocked high core count CPUs on this board?
I would just try to add 60mm PWM noctua fan or similar, 40mm are noisy with less airflow.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
60mm won’t fit between the SM 4U heatsinks.

but I actually swapped out the super quiet case fans (80x25mm 3500rpm) for screamers (80x38mm 9500rpm) and at ~8000rpm it’s actually keeping the VRM temps pretty manageable at 80C with the Power setting, 230W and 3.0GHz.

super noisy though. I might look into a small custom water cooler just for the VRM in the future.

irgen

Jan 14, 2021

but I actually swapped out the super quiet case fans (80x25mm 3500rpm) for screamers (80x38mm 9500rpm) and at ~8000rpm it’s actually keeping the VRM temps pretty manageable at 80C with the Power setting, 230W and 3.0GHz.

super noisy though. I might look into a small custom water cooler just for the VRM in the future.
I see then maybe try this thing - System Blower CPU Case PCI Slot (ebay) if remove the bracket it should fit

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020

Maybe adapt one of the custom water cooling memory heatsinks for the job.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the info, I don't think it will fit on my H12's which split into to smaller heatsinks now. I wish it did, just got my first VRM overheat alarm on a new build

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
They split the heatsink into 2 parts, but the VRMs underneath look very similar to the H11DSi. It also has two rows, just with one larger heatsink on top. The only question is whether some of the components near the MOSFETs are higher. Worst case scenario would be fitting a custom copper spacer between the MOSFETs and the water block, but that's still feasible.
I would love to see a good picture of that region on the board. With a ruler visible.

Edit: that's what the CPU VRMs look like on an H11DSi
vrm.jpg

Last edited:

VRuler

Feb 21, 2021
I just got a 64Cores ES on the H11SSL-i V2.

Installed Zenstates and everything required, the cpu frequency goes up to about 2ghz after running the command but once it's under load it goes down to 1.4.
Code:
 sudo ./zenstates.py --no-gui -p 0 --enable --fid 88 --did 8 --vid 28 --c6-enable --smu-test-message --oc-enable --oc-frequency 3400 --ppt 380 --tdc 300 --edc 320
Using the windows version I was getting 3ghz under load but for some reason(probably doing something wrong) it doesn't work well under Linux(Ubuntu 20).

Any advice?

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
They split the heatsink into 2 parts, but the VRMs underneath look very similar to the H11DSi. It also has two rows, just with one larger heatsink on top. The only question is whether some of the components near the MOSFETs are higher. Worst case scenario would be fitting a custom copper spacer between the MOSFETs and the water block, but that's still feasible.
I would love to see a good picture of that region on the board. With a ruler visible.

Edit: that's what the CPU VRMs look like on an H11DSi
View attachment 19492
Yeah I could get into that, I have a Mill and Lathe even, but I'll start with adding a blower, heh.

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021
I'm using the tool for Ubuntu, and on a fresh install of Ubuntu it would lock the frequencies at the desired setting. I only touched the frequency, Overclock VID, and set the PPT and TDC to 0, and EDC to 30 so I can utilize the EDC bug.

On a fresh system, when I typed "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "MHz"", it would show all the cores at the set frequency - 600 MHz (which I assume is fine, because I remember on windows the task manager would also report a frequency 600 MHz lower)

But now, the frequency doesn't stay locked at the desired frequency, and only boosts up to it on load.

I'm trying to use my system for arweave, and the load isn't constant, so I think the delay when ramping up the frequencies might cause a performance hit.

Is there a way to lock the frequency? I haven't touched the P-states because I don't want to kill the CPU, and in windows there was a simple "Lock Frequency button". Is it possible to do the same thing on Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
I know this thread is more about overclocking ES and OEM chips, (which is great by the way). Side note but I've always found the best chips in CPU families are usually OEM chips because they have to be engineered to perform in a much more broad power configuration across more diverse hardware so power consumption is more measured and clocks are usually a bit more aggressive at the same TDP as a retail chip (at least in some CPU families, like the xeon 2600 v2 for example). Also have OEM chips like the Phenom II 970, which is a really cool chip because you can sometimes unlock the 5th and 6th cores and they typically perform with a little less voltage than their retail cousins like the 1100T at the same given clock speed.

Anyway, I was eyeing CPU world last night and came across this chip, which seems to be one of the higher powered rome chips available, at a whopping 240 watts. Can these chips be overclocked at all? Just curious about this family of chips so I thought I would ask here, id like to learn a bit more about overclocking them.

1630290030910.png

Here you can see how it measures up against other rome chips.

1630290078017.png

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Why should the F-SKUs be overclockable?

They're regular locked EPYC SKUs, not even OEM versions. You will have to find an unlocked ES, which I've never even seen for F-SKUs

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Is there a way to lock the frequency? I haven't touched the P-states because I don't want to kill the CPU, and in windows there was a simple "Lock Frequency button". Is it possible to do the same thing on Ubuntu?
There are also ways to lock CPUs at a certain frequency. But that's probably not what you want, since it involves disabling turbo boost.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Why should the F-SKUs be overclockable?

They're regular locked EPYC SKUs, not even OEM versions. You will have to find an unlocked ES, which I've never even seen for F-SKUs
It also doesn't really matter, because you can take the 64-core -04 SKU and rearrange the CCX any way you want. For anything less than 48 active cores you can run whatever frequency you want, so long as you don't mind the volts. Its all a crapshoot right now because the -04 is something like $4K on eBay and at that point you might as well get a 3990X if you want lots of cores and high frequencies, or a pair of Xeon Platinum if you want ECC.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Can these chips be overclocked at all?
no.
we have to distinguish "OEM tray" processors from "custom OEM" processors.
OEM tray processors are the same than the WOF variants but without end-customer warranty (only the OEM manufacturer can return the CPU)
Custom OEM processors can be unlocked and or whatever the OEM wants.
All ES/QS are custom processors for OEM&engineers, not end customers.

Reactions: Storm-Chaser

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
I just got a 64Cores ES on the H11SSL-i V2.

Installed Zenstates and everything required, the cpu frequency goes up to about 2ghz after running the command but once it's under load it goes down to 1.4.
Code:
 sudo ./zenstates.py --no-gui -p 0 --enable --fid 88 --did 8 --vid 28 --c6-enable --smu-test-message --oc-enable --oc-frequency 3400 --ppt 380 --tdc 300 --edc 320
Using the windows version I was getting 3ghz under load but for some reason(probably doing something wrong) it doesn't work well under Linux(Ubuntu 20).

Any advice?
What zen state did you run, it's only the modified one from zzang (sp?) in this thread that works well for me