Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jan R

Apr 18, 2021
I read a couple posts back that Epyc engineering samples need the second (dual socket MB) cpu to boot. Is that the case? And is that also the case for quality samples, which are essential retail versions (i hope)?

Last edited:

Jan R

Apr 18, 2021
Its true for 2S, ZS, and also the -04 models.
And what about one of these models on a single socket MB? That will only work with P models? Or then it will act like one?

Also does anybody know if -04 models will run on a Gigabyte MZ72-HB0?
Because the seller i wanted to buy from (ccpu on aliexpress) stated that it will only run on supermicro boards, but someone on this forum used that Gigabyte board for 2 7745s and also in this thread a trick to run these cpus on ANY motherboard is mentioned.
I understand that a bios mod is maybe needed, but thats fine by me.

The seller is not responding to such questions or almost any, so i dont except help or answers for that kind of questions, which makes me a little unctuous to dive into this thing.
The xeon thread about engineering samples is alot bigger (probably more samples) so the change i can find a specific combo is a lot bigger, so risk lower.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
the 53-04 runs on every rome board from what ive seen, running it myself on mz72 right now, and before that on a supermicro h11dsi rev2 board.

Jan R

Apr 18, 2021
I was interested in a 57-04 (7452), but i havent seen any mention or known working examples yet.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Pretty sure -04 runs on any rome capable board, and all models are fine in single socket boards to my knowledge. ive used both ZS and -04 in H11SSL (single socket), but found them not to work solo in H11DSI. so need to populate all sockets.

JamesHawk

Dec 5, 2020
I've been looking a lot on ebay, nothing yet. I'm no one special though so that's all I can do.
Hmm, I can see some milan es on sell in china (not on ebay). about 1000$ for 32c and 2000$ for 64c. But no bios can light it up for now.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
There's a chance the registers for overclocking Rome will also work with Milan, the overall processor designs are very similar.
Or it could just blow up your CPU, who knows...

Reactions: efschu3

JamesHawk

Dec 5, 2020
Got a 7713 QS on hand with ROMED8-2T 3.11 Lab BIOS, this thing performed ~7H12 in multi-threads due to lower-than-retail clock range (1.6G-3G).

OP when can we expect update on Milan ES/QS to unleash this beast?
Could you share the cpu picture or the P/N? Thanks!

cyclegen

Nov 29, 2020
Got a 7713 QS on hand with ROMED8-2T 3.11 Lab BIOS, this thing performed ~7H12 in multi-threads due to lower-than-retail clock range (1.6G-3G).

OP when can we expect update on Milan ES/QS to unleash this beast?
hey bro, so where can we buy milan... I think it's the no.1 priority....

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021
Huge thanks for the tool, @ExecutableFix, I would have never gotten into this if I never saw that there was a tool available.

So, I've got a 2s1404e2vjug5, and with the overclocking tool it overheats even on 1.8GHz with a IceGiant Prosiphon Elite. I first tried Deepcool Fryzen, but as soon as you load the cores (I did it on Cinebench R15), the CPU die temp shoots >110C on HWinfo64.

Then I got the IceGiant Prosiphon Elite, but the problem still persist. WhenI start the benchmark, the temperature shoots up to 110/120C, and as soon as it finishes, it drops back down to 59 C
View attachment 18656
Am I screwed? Or is this an inaccurate temp or something?
Or is it that the 2S is that much worse than the ZS?

Another question. When I tried setting the freq to 2.6 GHz, the Core VID reading went up to 1.3V right here
1621163118490.png

But it was still at 0.9 as I have set it here:
1621163183277.png

I'm safe, right? It's only asking for 1.3V, but still supplying 0.9 as it says in the effective Core VID. I just want to double check because I really don't want to fry it.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
sounds like something is off, the vrm should overheat way before the cpus. ive never seen cpu temp higher than vrms. would think either the reported temp is wrong, cpu is faulty, or its the vrm overheating, are you monitoring vrm temps with ipmi?

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021
sounds like something is off, the vrm should overheat way before the cpus. ive never seen cpu temp higher than vrms. would think either the reported temp is wrong, cpu is faulty, or its the vrm overheating, are you monitoring vrm temps with ipmi?
Let me preface this by saying that I'm a noob and I only know about building desktop PC's and not servers. I got into this because I wanted to mine monero (I don't want people to start with, "OMGEEZ, it's unprofitable, you will never ROI you retard." All it takes is for the crypto to shoot up and all that mining pays off. I went with the EPYC ES over Ryzen 9's because I thought it would take up less space and power supplies. I decided to do this in the first place because there were 2S/ZS cpu's on ebay at the time, and I thought it's just cooler to delve into something like this rather than buying an overpriced GPU and sit on a ticking timebomb. Even if monero mining doesn't pay off, I can sell a system like this in Russia without losing money (and maybe even earning a bit) because not many people use ebay and such a system would be an exotic build either way. Nothing to lose.
So I first wanted to get a ZS, and the only guy selling them on ebay (March of 2021) doesn't send them to Russia because of customs restrictions (although it's completely fine if it's for personal use and I only ordered 2 CPU's, but only later in the shipping tab did I notice that he doesn't ship to Russia (yeah, my fault, lost >$100 after the currency fluctuations and PayPal's butt-tearing exchange rates (didn't realize I could actually convert at my bank's rate because it's not so easy to notice that you actually CAN do that, FML) and because the seller waited for like 3 days and then refunded me. But my fault, whatever.
So that's why I had to settle with a 2S instead of a ZS. Luckily, I snagged one up for a decent price. So that is why I have a 2S in the first place.
And ever since I ordered it, the price of monero actually went up by 80%, so please don't roll your eyes because the whole point of getting in on mining is to do it when it's not so profitable in anticipation of the price increase.

If you don't want to read the back story, start here:
So when I first booted everything up, HWinfo64 showed the motherboard temps in the 50s/60s, then I did a stress test and started fiddling with the Rome ES overclocking program, I checked the CPU temps, they were fine under load, so I scrolled back to the voltages (right before the temps shot up, so I didn't notice that) and just tested the presets. When I applied the "Best of both" preset (for single- and muli-core performance), I noticed the Core VID shoot up to 1.3V and I pooped my pants (before I realized that it's just when the CPU is requesting, not the actual voltage. I did all of this after setting the voltage manually to 0.9 or 0.95 (I keep it at 0.9 right now).
And so I pooped my pants and turned off the PSU switch ASAP. For a couple of minutes, it actually wasn't turning back on so I started shedding tears and digging out a grave for myself and the CPU, but then everything powered back on.

But ever since that first incident, it's been working fine BUT the motherboard temperature reporting has been weird:
1621166902600.png

This is what the temperatures are even if the CPU is at its default of 400 MHz after booting, so I was like, "WTF m8?!" and shrugged.
This is what IPMI shows BTW:
1621167009670.png
And here you can see a maximum of 58C even thought max CPU Die is 119C (this is from the same logging session right now)

Then my noobish brain thought, "Who knows, maybe it's the drivers or some stuff," decided to update, but then Windows (yes, I was doing this on Windows 10 Pro, don't laugh), I got some BSOD cuz I was just using a cheap old Geforce 210 and for some reason after whenever I would update, the BSOD would always be related to the NVIDIA driver so I couldn't update the drivers automatically.
Then I actually busted my balls and tried Ubuntu (which is really newcomer-unfriendly, unless you have another PC next to you that you can google stuff on - thankfully I did), I tried like a dozen different programs, but they would only show the temperature of the NIC (like for reals, I tried a few of them). Anyway, I decided to go without Linux right now because I also couldn't get it to report the CPU voltage, and I'm not gonna try overclocking if I can't even see the voltages, so I went back to Windows and switched to my GTX 1060 so that I have less errors.
Tried installing windows server 2016, but the USB wouldn't boot for some reason (even though secure boot is disabled and everything), I can only install Win10 Pro.

These are the VRM's, right? Or is this for the RAM modules?

Or is this the VRM? To me the first photo looks more fitting, but what do I know.
Anyway, these aren't too hot to the touch. Both the chokes and the heatsinks are like ~50-60 degrees if I had to guess, so something's gotta be wrong.

And the motherboard temperature stay pretty much constant no matter if I'm at 0.4 GHz or 1.8 GHz.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
the 4phase ones are ram vrm, the 6phase is for cpu in your second photo, one of the motherboard sensors in hwinfo is probabaly vrm and you can see it looks like itsoverheating. log in to ipmi to make sure, but that tiny vrm heatsink is made for massive airflow over it in a server chassis so better get some fans blowing straight on it.