Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I have an H11DSi-NT rev2.0 currently running 2x 7642 48-core retail CPUs. but I'm interested in upgrading them to the 100-000000053-04 "7742" OEM/ES/QS 64-core parts.

My board has the 2.1 BIOS. I'm not super concerned with the overclocking, but more concerned that the system will boot at all with the 100-00000053-04 installed.

I've seen this combo mentioned previously in this thread, but the posts seem ambiguous (maybe due language barrier, non-native English).

Can anyone confirm if this combo will boot/run with the stock unmodified 2.1 BIOS?
Does the system perform more or less normally with regard to IF and memory speeds? do these chips still run the default 1467MHz IF speed?

I run Linux exclusively on this machine. Windows is not an option. I know most of the tools mentioned in this thread seem to run on Windows, but are any Linux tools available? If I could get all cores around 2.7-2.8GHz that would be totally fine.

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
I have an H11DSi rev2.0 currently running 2x 7642 48-core retail CPUs. but I'm interested in upgrading them to the 100-000000053-04 "7742" OEM/ES/QS 64-core parts.

My board has the 2.1 BIOS. I'm not super concerned with the overclocking, but more concerned that the system will boot at all with the 100-00000053-04 installed.
i can confirm that h11dsi rev.2 board runs okay with 53-04 (7742) cpu's. dual socket.

Can anyone confirm if this combo will boot/run with the stock unmodified 2.1 BIOS?
Does the system perform more or less normally with regard to IF and memory speeds? do these chips still run the default 1467MHz IF speed?
in my bios (2.0b) is IF setting on AUTO.
my memory is 3200mhz ecc-reg, 16 sticks for dual socket

Attachments

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
yea they run fine with the 2.1 bios used that for a while. have a look at zenstates linux to see if it works thats what this tool is based on afaik

edit: dont think zenstates-linux works on rome

Last edited:

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I use this one from @Zhang with a dual 54-04 and single 53-04 systems

Presets are for ES, so for your 53-04 i'd go directly to --oc-frequency 2800, watch-up your vrm and CPU temps!
you use this with the 2.1 BIOS?

whats the upper limit for VRM temps? With no special VRM cooling (just case airflow) my CPU1/CPU2 VRM temps as read by IPMI with the 48-core CPUs under full load, 2.7-2.8GHz, are about 74C/70C.

Last edited:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Perfectly fine at 70 but if you oc you might want a fan pointed at it it quickly climbs above 90 on the h11dsi without good airflow over the vrm

madbrad

Dec 10, 2020
Hi guys

I'm really excited about trying this and really need your help.
I only have budget for a single motherboard and one Epyc CPU. Which means it has to POST right off the bat with the ES CPU inside. My conundrum is this:
- OP only included modded BIOSes for Supermicro and Gigabyte
- Where I live there's limited offer of motherboards but I could order the Asus or Supermicro online (can't find the Gigabyte)
- OP stated that the only one to work out of the box was the Asus KRPA-U16
- There's no way for me to check the Agesa or revision of the Supermicro boards from the vendors I have available

What advice do you have for me?
I'm so so excited about this

Thanks
Brad the Mad

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Buy an H11SSL, flash the OP's BIOS over IPMI, and buy a ZS- or 100- CPU and it should work fine. Rome works on revision 1.0 Supermicro boards with the modded BIOS.

madbrad

Dec 10, 2020
Thank you @bayleyw. I read through mostly all the 24 pages of the post but can't find a reliable resource on how to flash via IPMI and iKVM (someone mentioned some hacked software). I googled my eyes out but couldn't find what should look like a solid guide on how to do it. Do you have any tips/links?

Subatomic

Mar 23, 2020
Thank you @bayleyw. I read through mostly all the 24 pages of the post but can't find a reliable resource on how to flash via IPMI and iKVM (someone mentioned some hacked software). I googled my eyes out but couldn't find what should look like a solid guide on how to do it. Do you have any tips/links?
I don't know about the Asus KRPA-U16, but on the Supermicro boards flashing via IPMI is fairly trivial. However, you will need a generated license code for this functionality. I know there is a code generator that someone made available, but I purchased mine directly from SM. Once you log into IPMI via a web interface (you just need the lan ip address for the ipmi interface). then you just need the bios file available on the local machine you are logging in from and it takes about 2 clicks of the mouse.

Subatomic

Mar 23, 2020
I don't know about the Asus KRPA-U16, but on the Supermicro boards flashing via IPMI is fairly trivial. However, you will need a generated license code for this functionality. I know there is a code generator that someone made available, but I purchased mine directly from SM. Once you log into IPMI via a web interface (you just need the lan ip address for the ipmi interface). then you just need the bios file available on the local machine you are logging in from and it takes about 2 clicks of the mouse.
Hi !
I would like to build a 2x Amd Epyc 7551es setup.
They are so darn cheap.
Can i overclock them ?
Thanks
Retrotrollet
I had this same setup on my H11DSi-NT Rev. 2 and they overclocked pretty well with zenstates. I had my ES 7551 overclocked to 3.1 GHz all core. The limit on mine was the VRM temps. I sold these and "upgraded" to production 2x7601, but I couldn't get much higher performance after the upgrade. One caution with the ES cpus is that it seems that these are much more likely to have missing memory channels so you might want to verify this before purchasing. Often the ES/QS do not come with the installation trays, which makes them harder to align to the socket pins and can result in missing memory channels so sometimes reseating can fix the issue.

lixinran0809

Nov 26, 2019
Hi,
I have a pretty dumb question. So I have a rev1.0 H11SSL-C and I'm considering upgrading the current Naples ES to a Rome ES. I am wondering if I flash the modded bios for Rome support, will I still be able to boot with my Naples CPU? Since the modded rev1.0 bios only have the Rome part from the rev2.0 bios.
Also, I have been thinking about finding the 32MB bios chip and replace the current 16MB one on my rev 1.0 board. Will this essential makes me be able to flash rev2.0 bios or is there other differences between 1.0 and 2.0 board? Thanks!

vkEnthusiast

Nov 26, 2020
Here are the numbers I got with 32c 7502 ES 54-04 on ROMED8-2T (BIOS v1.10, BMC 1.0), 2x32GB 3200MHz 2Rx4, air-cooling.
It looks like the cpu's max freq was 3200MHz when I got it ootb, prior to applying any mods.
I changed cTDP and Package Power Limit to 200W (path in BIOS: Advanced -> AMD CBS -> NBIO C.O. -> SMU C.O.)

on ubuntu 18.04(5.4 kernel):
I used zenstates with "--oc-frequency 3400" from "ZenStates-Rome-ES", which was attached somewhere in this thread, irusanov/ZenStates-Linux wasn't working: -no-gui mode wasn't changing frequency, and gui version was crashing as soon as I click "Enable" checkbox.
- geekbench5: Single-Core Score: 1057, Multi-Core Score: 19072 (pre-mod it was 17000)
(zenmonitor recorded Package Power hitting 240-245W several times)

on win10:
Just used the "multi core" option, which changed max-freq to 3450Mhz.
- corona 1.3: 14,270,600 rays/sec (13.5Mrays/sec non OC)
- cinebench R15: 6279
- cinebench R20: 15114
- cinebench R23: after 2 minutes I noticed IPMI saying that vCPU@ 1.36V, which is "upper-critical" and 1.4V is "Upper Non-Recoverable" and decided to shut the bench down. Temps at that moment where in 68-72C range, whereas in all other tests ~50/+-2C.

How dangerous is 1.36V, and 240W vs stock 180W(or am I comparing brutto-netto)?
I need this box mainly as a data science workstation so stability is most likely the key aspect I'm interested in.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
sounds unlikely you actually pulled 1.36 and just 70c on those tiny vrms.
, highest ive been able to push 64cores is 1.15ish and the vrms go to 90c+ with fans blowing directly on them full speed, thats similar 6phase per cpu.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
sounds unlikely you actually pulled 1.36 and just 70c on those tiny vrms.
, highest ive been able to push 64cores is 1.15ish and the vrms go to 90c+ with fans blowing directly on them full speed, thats similar 6phase per cpu.
He’s using a 32 core, not 64.