Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Ltsc 2019 I was using did not like my 256core at all. Think it depends on what release you use. You need bios 2.0b+ to boot from nvme on oculink.

fobus

May 17, 2020
Ltsc 2019 I was using did not like my 256core at all. Think it depends on what release you use. You need bios 2.0b+ to boot from nvme on oculink.
I'm on Win 10 Enterprise 2004. My nvme ssd plugged in m.2 slot and workin well. Problem seems to be in defect CPU cores in some CCDs above 4th CCD. It's wierd and sad.

fobus

May 17, 2020
@fobus if you are located in the netherlands i am willing to lend my h11dsi rev.2 board or my epyc 7742 cpu's for you to test it.

where are you located ??
Thank You very much, but I'm in russia unfortunately. This Epyc CPUs so rare that no one in my neighborhood never even seen them. But thank You again for help.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
New problem, two of my systems do not have the AMD CBS menu in the bios. This is where you tune the fabric speeds.

See below. These are both H11SSL-i. I originally though it was a bios version problem (only on old modified ones), but my H11DSI is running modified bios and it doesn't have it. And I know the use "EPYC" on here has a H11DSI with modified bios and he does have it.
CBS Missing.PNG

H11SSL-i on modified 2.0a with Retail/'04/ZS CPU: has CBS menu
H11SSL-i on Vendor 2.1 bios with '04 CPU: no CBS menu
H11DSI on modified 2.0a with ZS CPU: no CBS menu.

I tuned all the options in the advanced menu the same in case one of them made it appear, then rebooted, but no luck.
I'd really like to figure out why its missing on the H11DSI board in particular. Any ideas?

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
So I have the theory that perhaps the h11dsi rev1 image posted in the op had the CBS menu activated, but the Rev 2 image doesn't. Perhaps they were based off a different source.

I came to this conclusion because I know there are users here with h11dsi with CBS options, and I assume they flashed rev 1 whereas I used rev 2. Still waiting for confirmation, chime in if you can help.

Is it safe to flash the smaller Rev 1 bios on a rev 2 board?

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
I unlocked some settings in AMD CBS concerning Infinity Fabric , changing one of these settings make my H11dsi post stuck at 94 or D2 which seems to be related to Pcie Enumeration.

Here's my custom bios

H11DSi 2.0 XFR
H11DSi 2.0 XFR Fixed

-The board automaticaly boot on a offboard gpu, IOMMU is enabled by default.
-AMD CBS and XFR are unlocked (XFR settings are located in NBIO in a blank submenu)

I hope this will help
Did you try this? That's the only version I remember seeing with amd CBS menu

edit: if someone would be able to apply that fix to the 2.1 or 2.0b bios that would be sweet. 2.0 missing all the fixes for nvme etc.

Last edited:

gerschen

Feb 14, 2018
Did you try this? That's the only version I remember seeing with amd CBS menu

edit: if someone would be able to apply that fix to the 2.1 or 2.0b bios that would be sweet. 2.0 missing all the fixes for nvme etc.
This BIOS ("2.0 XFR fixed") worked for me with OEM EPYC 7502s : I'm running at FCLK = MCLK = 1800 (so 3600 on the memory). If I remember correctly, the settings are located in

AMD CBS > NBIO > XFR Enhancement

For it to work, the memory settings in the "Advanced" menu must stay on "Auto"' (otherwise, the board won't POST).

Because I'm using the non-NT version of the board, I'm not too bothered by the Oculink NVMe problems in this BIOS (NVMe in PCIe slots works fine).

As an aside, it seems this board has no OCP? It will happily send 2x400W+ to the CPUs at 3.6 GHz. But cooling down the VRMs becomes a challenge...

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the info. I didn't remember that post as my initial testing was with SSL single socket version.

Can I just verify the DSI xfr 2.0 bios works with "ZS" sample chips. I don't have the retail any more if it doesn't.

Also, I was meaning to ask. Can you Flash bios from impi with a cpu that doesn't otherwise Boot? Like es CPU and unsupported bios?

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I've been flashing motherboards for nearly 30 years, since I was a kid, but only recently have I been getting into server hardware. I've flashed some sketchy stuff sometimes, custom bios images from forums with unlocked features, and as of late have bought "dual bios" boards etc. for my home equipment for that extra safety net.

However, what you just said... This is magic to me...

You don't need any CPUs to flash via IPMI :)

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
2max6max_uQ1KYVL0bR.png

this should be a nice alternative to the h11dsi when its out. seems to be specced more for workstation with all the headers and pcie4, actual x4 m.2 ports and theres 2 of them!

Reactions: Layla

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
View attachment 15282

this should be a nice alternative to the h11dsi when its out. seems to be specced more for workstation with all the headers and pcie4, actual x4 m.2 ports and theres 2 of them!
That board looks perfect! The board many of us were waiting for but gave up waiting and bought the H11DSi! Looks like I'll be selling my system and building a new one once that board is out!

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
One of the systems (H11DSI with ZS CPUs) seems to have a lot of inconsistency. Sometimes the overclock slows the system down more than stock. It also seems to coincide with some bad coil whine (whine when overclock fails?). Any idea what's going on or experience anything similar?

Cheers and thanks!

norcimo

Aug 11, 2020
Greetings,

Does the utility work with supermicro rev 2 H11dsi MB and ES 100-000000053-04? I just want to not super overclock but just enough to increase hashing power since I am mining.

Thank your.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
yes it does(i have that exact setup) but dont expect big overclocks, the 53-04 already runs close to stock speeds and the motherboard vrm seems to be the limiting factor.

norcimo

Aug 11, 2020
yes it does(i have that exact setup) but dont expect big overclocks, the 53-04 already runs close to stock speeds and the motherboard vrm seems to be the limiting factor.
I have another question for you. It seems that the best performance is 8 channel mode. as you are aware occupying all memory slots with 16GB of memory stick is really expensive do you feel I would benefit from it since I'm going to use it for mining?

norcimo

Aug 11, 2020
Random X coins, monero and alike.

At this time, can the system be booted with 4 16gb sticks, one on each bank? I need to test the CPUS. as the rest of the components come.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
If it's anything like the other dual-socket boards I've used, it will boot with as little as 1 DIMM in CPU1 A1.
Rome is fortunately a internally symmetric design - unlike Naples, populating half the channels will not cause anomalous drops in performance.

Reactions: norcimo