Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
finally got to run some test after having a faulty rev1 h11dsi board first(would only give FF post codes)
got it working with a newer rev2 h11dsi-nt board, ltsc dosnt seem to have the 2xapic patch to support 256cores, so only been testing with smt off so far, will give w10 workstation or server19 a test later.
but with 2x64core i think the motherboard dosnt deal too well with the extra voltage too both cpus seen scores go up and down like someone else mentioned with a similar system will have to do some more testing.

My best score in c20 was with just clocking up cpu1. memory speeds seems real steady though. its running nice and quiet with just 2 noctua u14s coolers(after fixing the fan curves they rarely go over 700rpm and 60c) vrms on the other hand get really toasty and if i overclock much i can actually hear a coilwhine type of sound while benchmarking not sure if thats great. so might leave it at stock for now.
XSplit.Core_jRTtHRDS8l.pngXSplit.Core_2Nn35ZkX0b.jpg

Reactions: fobus

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
@ExecutableFix is there any update in pipeline, with support for agesa higher than 1.0.0.3 ?? bios update 2.0B for rev.2.0 boards (19 november 2019) has fix for rtx gpu's. 2.0B bios has agesa 1.0.0.4. i need bios 2.0B to work with my rtx-cards
bios 2.0b or higher also needed for NVME drives, took me a while to figure out why my intel 900p wouldnt get detected.
anyway to mod the newer bios with a lower agesa?

fobus

May 17, 2020
finally got to run some test after having a faulty rev1 h11dsi board first(would only give FF post codes)
got it working with a newer rev2 h11dsi-nt board, ltsc dosnt seem to have the 2xapic patch to support 256cores, so only been testing with smt off so far, will give w10 workstation or server19 a test later.
but with 2x64core i think the motherboard dosnt deal too well with the extra voltage too both cpus seen scores go up and down like someone else mentioned with a similar system will have to do some more testing.

My best score in c20 was with just clocking up cpu1. memory speeds seems real steady though. its running nice and quiet with just 2 noctua u14s coolers(after fixing the fan curves they rarely go over 700rpm and 60c) vrms on the other hand get really toasty and if i overclock much i can actually hear a coilwhine type of sound while benchmarking not sure if thats great. so might leave it at stock for now.
Can You test Corona render benchmark please? Benchmark | Corona Renderer

edit:
Few times in a raw if You can. Will it be different results?

Epyc

May 1, 2020
bios 2.0b or higher also needed for NVME drives, took me a while to figure out why my intel 900p wouldnt get detected.
anyway to mod the newer bios with a lower agesa?
That Intel 900 is a pain in the ass. Got one installed in my TRX40 system but was really troublesome getting it to be the boot drive. Windows just would not install on it, even with latest bios updates, seperate nvme 900p driver and stuff. Normal nvme drive works perfectly with old bios with my Es set

Epyc

May 1, 2020

View attachment 14737View attachment 14738
Wow amazing Aida specs, really awesome.
Just put a couple of 40mm noctuas on vrm. Works wonders

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
That Intel 900 is a pain in the ass. Got one installed in my TRX40 system but was really troublesome getting it to be the boot drive. Windows just would not install on it, even with latest bios updates, seperate nvme 900p driver and stuff. Normal nvme drive works perfectly with old bios with my Es set
hm think i remember having to tinker with drivers aswell to get windows to install on it, but i have it booting fine in both of my other workstations one intel x299 and a tr1950x.

Epyc

May 1, 2020
hm think i remember having to tinker with drivers aswell to get windows to install on it, but i have it booting fine in both of my other workstations one intel x299 and a tr1950x.
For me the only solution was to completly remove it, install windows installer on a seperate drive. Shut down & put the Intel in. Clone the installer to the drive and then the installation continued without issue.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
28k with 2x64 cores? How high all core speed was there?
got 30k with "best of both" preset, which seem to run around 3.2 allcore, keep in mind no SMT so just 128cores instead of 256, corona seems to scale very well with cores so assume smt on will be a lot higher.
this is with the 53-04 cpus, also 18gbps xgmi max. 16x16gb 3200mhz dual rank.
highest powerdraw ive seen is 700w, which is impressive considering my 16core 7960x overclockedcould pull similar amounts.

Epyc

May 1, 2020
got 30k with "best of both" preset, which seem to run around 3.2 allcore, keep in mind no SMT so just 128cores instead of 256, corona seems to scale very well with cores so assume smt on will be a lot higher.
this is with the 53-04 cpus, also 18gbps xgmi max. 16x16gb 3200mhz dual rank.
highest powerdraw ive seen is 700w, which is impressive considering my 16core 7960x overclockedcould pull similar amounts.
Wow, that's truly insane. My Es samples crash with 16gbps link. Also you don't have the extra divider on the if fabric like most Es samples

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
turns out latest w10 pro works fine with 256cores. also the 900p installed without any drivers needed.
and the 53_04 cpus work fine with latest bios/agesa

SMT on, stock speed full load seemed to stay around 2.5ghz max instead of 3ghz smt off. 39k corona. 30k cine20.

OC set to high multi highest corona i saw was 47k(casual #2 highest score in their list), not sure how stable that would be though. had the first crash quickly switching between presets and benching aswell.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
turns out latest w10 pro works fine with 256cores. also the 900p installed without any drivers needed.

SMT on, stock speed full load seemed to stay around 2.5ghz max instead of 3ghz smt off. 39k corona. 30k cine20.

OC set to high multi highest corona i saw was 47k(casual #2 highest score in their list), not sure how stable that would be though. had the first crash quickly switching between presets and benching aswell.
would make any difference if you install w10 enterprise ?? hint: usenet

fobus

May 17, 2020

Any difference in powerdraw with high multicore preset corona running? :)

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
@ExecutableFix is there any update in pipeline, with support for agesa higher than 1.0.0.3 ?? bios update 2.0B for rev.2.0 boards (19 november 2019) has fix for rtx gpu's. 2.0B bios has agesa 1.0.0.4. i need bios 2.0B to work with my rtx-cards
Nope, newer agesa's are a no-go because these engineering samples don't post with them