Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Epyc

May 1, 2020
The 16mb cache as Numa domain adds a lot. Also without smt work scheduling becomes more easy on the complex Numa config and increasing trueput. Just try, I have disabled smt and ht on almost all system I run. Amd also advice it for hpc

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
The 16mb cache as Numa domain adds a lot. Also without smt work scheduling becomes more easy on the complex Numa config and increasing trueput. Just try, I have disabled smt and ht on almost all system I run. Amd also advice it for hpc
I'll try it... But I'm getting 15-20% bonus out of it. When I compare 32/64 SMT on.

Cheers

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Hi there,

I am not completley sure, but it seems like some of you have mananaged to run non 3200 memory @3200 MHz. Would you mind sharing, which specific modulus you have used?

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Has anyone found PPT to actually work? I was hoping to lower PPT to something reasonable so as to get working turbo behavior (high single core clocks which elegantly throttle down under multithreaded workloads) but it seems like the clock speeds don't really depend on the PPT setting. HWInfo64 also doesn't return reasonable values for the measured powers.

c3l3x

May 1, 2020
With a new BIOS I got my Asus KNPA-U16-R running with my Epyc 7502 ES. I'm using the "bit of both" OC with good results.

I have 8 x 8GB 2133MHz RDIMMs. From all of this memory discussion and testing, it is worth it for me to get faster RAM? I use my system for 3D and video work. Not sure how much difference faster RAM would benefit me in real-world tasks.

Last edited:

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
Are you sure about your UDIMM, actualy EPYC only supports (L)RDIMM? Noone can tell if your Software will profit, but you could easily test, overclock your memory a bit and test how it scales.

c3l3x

May 1, 2020
Are you sure about your UDIMM, actualy EPYC only supports (L)RDIMM? Noone can tell if your Software will profit, but you could easily test, overclock your memory a bit and test how it scales.
It is RDIMMs. Not sure why I wrote UDIMMs. I corrected my post.

I was hoping that people have done some real-world testing so I could learn from that. If not, then I would do my own tests

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Hi there,

I am not completley sure, but it seems like some of you have mananaged to run non 3200 memory @3200 MHz. Would you mind sharing, which specific modulus you have used?
My experience has been you can almost get one bin above rated speed at stock volts, two if you tweak the voltages a little. RAM is very aggressively binned these days - everything comes off the same line and is sorted according to speed after production, so at JEDEC voltages you don't get much wiggle room.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
My experience has been you can almost get one bin above rated speed at stock volts, two if you tweak the voltages a little. RAM is very aggressively binned these days - everything comes off the same line and is sorted according to speed after production, so at JEDEC voltages you don't get much wiggle room.
Speaking of which. Anyone have/know an epyc board that support ram voltage adjustment?

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
I thought the memory speed could simply be set in the bios (with a Asus knpa board) and I assumed the same is possible with the voltage?

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
My understanding is that the H11DSi users here have a BIOS with all of the debugging features unlocked, should be possible to make one for the H11SSL but I haven't tried.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So i gave the program a try and used the best of both preset just to try on the 7742 from Redeamon and it actually scored lower than without in Cinebench R20, 20334 and 17,860 After Best of both. I reverted changes.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
My understanding is that the H11DSi users here have a BIOS with all of the debugging features unlocked, should be possible to make one for the H11SSL but I haven't tried.
i am one of those having h11dsi with modified bios. and i cal tell you that changing P-state values in bios don't work. indeed you can change the values, but they don't have any effect. so, modded bios is not working as it was intended on h11dsi with epyc naples cpu

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
for people running windows10, what version do you find works best and what drivers?
couldnt find any specific win10 epyc drivers

Epyc

May 1, 2020
With a new BIOS I got my Asus KNPA-U16-R running with my Epyc 7502 ES. I'm using the "bit of both" OC with good results.

I have 8 x 8GB 2133MHz RDIMMs. From all of this memory discussion and testing, it is worth it for me to get faster RAM? I use my system for 3D and video work. Not sure how much difference faster RAM would benefit me in real-world tasks.
Hey, in my experience it does a lot. I use my system as personal workstation for mostly video render and editing. By far the best perf is running 3200mhz. Have it filled with just simple default Kingston 3200mhz Rdimm. It's not that expensive. Even got 2 mac Pro kits really cheap second hand I mixed in between. But it helps a lot

Epyc

May 1, 2020
for people running windows10, what version do you find works best and what drivers?
couldnt find any specific win10 epyc drivers
I have used 3 windows versions.
Windows 10 LTSC
Windows 10 workstations
Windows 2019 server.

Server works the best, following with workstation and ltsc last. Go for server it's the most stable.
Got the supermicro default chipset drivers for w10 server

Epyc

May 1, 2020
@ExecutableFix is there any update in pipeline, with support for agesa higher than 1.0.0.3 ?? bios update 2.0B for rev.2.0 boards (19 november 2019) has fix for rtx gpu's. 2.0B bios has agesa 1.0.0.4. i need bios 2.0B to work with my rtx-cards
Why? What's not working now? Have used a rtx 2060s and 2080s without issue