Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
awesome work, one question will i be able to upgrade to a modded bios on a h11 rev1 board, with just a rome cpu?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
You should be able to flash a new bios via IPMI, even if the system does not get through post thanks to an unsupported CPU.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
It's definitely possible to port it to Linux as well. I think @I.nfraR.ed will be the one who'll get an app out for that. He's definitely more of a Linux guy than I am
Have you considered making an EFI executable out of it that you load from the ESP as part of a chain load? Basically, UEFI -> Boot Manager -> Your EFI application -> Whatever OS

This would make it OS agnostic, at least for applying settings automatically a single time pre-boot then continuing booting as usual.

Also, have you tested undervolting? Giving how good 7nm is scaling down, I think that seeing how low can power consumption go on 64C and still offering the same or slighty lower performance could be perhaps even more fun than overclocking.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
You can compile a version for 64-core ROME, 2S1404E2VJUG5 is particularly easy to be killed.
Have you gotten the 2S cpu to boot? if so, on which mb and what bios did you use? I have tried multiple mb and bios's but have still not gotten that cpu to post.
Thanks for any insight,
jp

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
You should be able to flash a new bios via IPMI, even if the system does not get through post thanks to an unsupported CPU.
thanks.
is it possible to set per core clocks? like higher 1-4core clock speeds etc, or just the allcore?

close to pulling the trigger on a dual 64core instead of just getting the 3990x that was the original plan. cost will be similar, but dual cpu would be a lot more fun.

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
thanks.
is it possible to set per core clocks? like higher 1-4core clock speeds etc, or just the allcore?

close to pulling the trigger on a dual 64core instead of just getting the 3990x that was the original plan. cost will be similar, but dual cpu would be a lot more fun.
There is a way, but it's really buggy (it was causing a lot of random crashes) and thus haven't implemented it in the software.

Timoth

Apr 15, 2020
I'm curious why overclocking won't work on a retail Epyc Rome CPU? I purchased a Supermicro H11SSL-I bundled with a 7302P cpu from NewEgg, but I'm not sure if it's retail or OEM. I already have a waterblock on it so I can't easily see the number on the cpu.

Reactions: EagerToLearn

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
I'm curious why overclocking won't work on a retail Epyc Rome CPU? I purchased a Supermicro H11SSL-I bundled with a 7302P cpu from NewEgg, but I'm not sure if it's retail or OEM. I already have a waterblock on it so I can't easily see the number on the cpu.
There's only one way to find out: give it a try.

The retail CPU's have different commandsets and the overclocking commands are missing

Reactions: EagerToLearn

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
There is a way, but it's really buggy (it was causing a lot of random crashes) and thus haven't implemented it in the software.
hehe wont be touching that then!
maybe a stupid question but when you set an OC or use a preset, do they still dynamicly change speed/voltage based on load for power savings or do they get locked in?

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
hehe wont be touching that then!
maybe a stupid question but when you set an OC or use a preset, do they still dynamicly change speed/voltage based on load for power savings or do they get locked in?
No, those are then locked in and aren't dynamically changing anymore. There could still be a bit of variation between workloads, but that's mostly the frequency and not the voltage.

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
Very nice work!

I have looked around for a while, but could not find any "low core count" (8-24C) EPYC Romes with -04. So does they even exist? If so, do you have an exact part number to look for, or even better, a supplier?

I can only see 64C results in this thread - do you have results for the 32C EPYC? How high were you able to get those?

Last edited:

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
@ExecutableFix do you have single threaded Cinebench R20 scores? I'm curious as to what clocks are achievable at light loads.
Also, has anyone in the thread done power measurements? I'm expecting around 300W seeing as it performs like a stock 3990X, but it would be good to have some data for designing cooling systems and making sure the VRM's don't go boom.

Nabladel

Jan 27, 2017
@ExecutableFix do you have single threaded Cinebench R20 scores? I'm curious as to what clocks are achievable at light loads.
Also, has anyone in the thread done power measurements? I'm expecting around 300W seeing as it performs like a stock 3990X, but it would be good to have some data for designing cooling systems and making sure the VRM's don't go boom.
Regarding the power draw it seems to reach 300w or higher when setting OC to 3800+ and running a full load. Power draw statistics were obtain using turbostat. The cpu thermals I was seeing was low to mid 70s. Also IMPI was reporting vrm temps at high 60s.