FINAL Bachelor Build - Xeon D vSAN Cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Load temps with this thing are turning out to be even more incredible! So my idle temps went down from 59C to 44C and after doing 1 hour of a typical transcoding load for me (transcoding high bitrate 1080p blurays down to low bitrate 720p) my load temp never went above 54C! That's a 20-26C drop from the stock heatsink that saw my loading temps around 80C and sometimes higher. Now this wasn't a 100% load on the CPU (closer to 80%) but I'm overjoyed with these results given my typical applications.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Was the load test with just a single transcoded stream? Is it possible to max out the transcoded streams and see the load temps then?
Yes that was a single stream which used about 80% CPU usage.

OK 9 transcodes going at once right now including one optimized version to ensure transcoding is always taking place. Temps fluctuating between 59-60C after 10 minutes.

Also, htop showing all cores at 100% during this test.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
OK 9 transcodes going at once right now including one optimized version to ensure transcoding is always taking place. Temps fluctuating between 59-60C after 10 minutes.

Also, htop showing all cores at 100% during this test.
Those temps are really good especially since the only change was the heatsink and nothing else.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
OMFG, ouch and I am envious at the same time...that's a SWEET lookin' piece o' switching gear and wiring job good sir!

~tips hat
Thanks @whitey.

A lot of $$ but excluding any actual hardware failure you can expect it to be useful and relevant for a lot of years.
Yea for that price it was clearly an investment. For my home network I can't see myself needing anything more for a very long time.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Why did you pick the asrock board over the SuperMicro one?

If that D-1537 becomes available from I'll be interested in it

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Why did you pick the asrock board over the SuperMicro one?

If that D-1537 becomes available from I'll be interested in it
I wanted a D-1541 with onboard SFP+ and HBA. This was the only one that seemed to fit that bill.

I'll keep you posted on the D-1537 as it may go up for sale in a week or two.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Did you choose this board over the X10SDV-7TP4F (Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F Embedded Processor) purely because of clock speed?

TIA for answering my asinine questions. I'm ready to build my next node and use my existing node to stream games haha.
I have two of X10SDV-7TP4F boards already. I'm adding this one to the cluster and yes clock speed was a big factor because I do a lot of background transcoding in Plex. However, with that said the D-1537 has been doing just fine for my needs and can support 9+ simultaneous transcodes so this was more of a want not a need ;).

Reactions: Chad_C

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I'm diggin' the ASRock mobo packing WAY more than the SM weak packaging job. Zip tied up and all!

Can I get a 'Hell Yeah'!???

Reactions: IamSpartacus

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
While the packaging is better and both companies make a great board, I generally prefer a SM board over ASRock. Typically their tech support is top notch when you get a hold of someone.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
While the packaging is better and both companies make a great board, I generally prefer a SM board over ASRock. Typically their tech support is top notch when you get a hold of someone.
I will admit I'm kind of upset that I won't be able to access the IPMI of this board from the IPMIView console along with the 4 other of my boards :(.