FINAL Bachelor Build - Xeon D vSAN Cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm so sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner, I somehow missed these posts.

Great configuration. Congratulation!
I have 3 questions to you.
You are using Xeon D-1508 and Xeon D-1518 as your storage nodes.
1) Do you see any benefit from 1518?

Not as purely a storage node. However for me, this node is part of a virtualized cluster and I wanted the added cores to be able to run additional VM's on this node.

2) How do you think, is 1508 powerful enough to handle storage (12x8TB) with ZFS (FreeNAS) + 10Gbit?

Yes, with one caveat. You might be pushing it if you are doing any kind of dedup (I haven't tested this myself).

3) How do you rate 10Gbit speeds on 1508 platform? Are they close to the max?

Yes. The CPU is not a limiting factor.
Responses in bold.

My 27u is in!

I have more questions about that case -- have you considered using 2.5" SSDs in any of those trayless slots? I'm trying to decide between the 3U and 4U case; with 4Us, I could devote a bank to SSDs for slog duties or whatever. I couldn't find any information on whether or not this was possible.

Thanks again!
I have a few 2.5" SSDs in them using ICY Docker EZ-Convert Adapters.

Reactions: Chad_C

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Quick little update.

After fumbling around with the Ubiquiti ES-16-XG and trying to get 3 different DAC's to work, I decided to return it and make the splurge for the Cisco SG350XG-24F. I'm loving it so far and though I'm not a big GUI guy with regards to switches (I'm old school Cisco), it's the best I've ever used (leaps and bounds above my Dell X1052).

Here are a few pics of the new toy ;).

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Quick little update.

After fumbling around with the Ubiquiti ES-16-XG and trying to get 3 different DAC's to work, I decided to return it and make the splurge for the Cisco SG350XG-24F. I'm loving it so far and though I'm not a big GUI guy with regards to switches (I'm old school Cisco), it's the best I've ever used (leaps and bounds above my Dell X1052).

Here are a few pics of the new toy ;).
Wow! That is an awesome, clean setup. Congrats :)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just installed a new Cooljag BUF-E copper heatsink into one of my D-1537 server nodes. Initial idle temps dropped 15C right off the bat. Will be doing some load testing later today but feeling very good about being able to upgrade one of the D-1537's to a D-1541 without worry too much about heat now.

Last edited:

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Looks nice! - still cant believe the shipping rates from the US to DK.. almost any deal is just ruined :(