FINAL Bachelor Build - Xeon D vSAN Cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
Thank you for your suggestions @miraculix. The butyl deadener sheets is a great idea I hadn't thought of that. It's not cheap though like you said. I'm going to have to see how loud this rack is with all my gear in it first and then adjust from there accordingly.
"Try (without) before you buy" definitely makes sense. If you think you need the deadener sheets, just search fleabay for "butyl deadener". You might be pleasantly surprised about pricing.

I did pickup a pair of the AC Inifinity fans to use as exhaust on the top of my rack for starters. I'm going to monitor that for a few days and see how the temps are and again adjust from there.
Awesome! I highly recommend adding the thermostat, assuming the fans you already got are USB powered.

BTW bear in mind if you are only exhausting air out from the top, that's negative pressure. I guess not a big deal if your overall environment is clean enough and you don't mind blowing out your servers with compressed air once or twice a year.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to direct pulled air from the bottom to the front of the rack? I've been trying to determine the best way to do that but I'm still searching for a good option.
I just caught on that it appears you have a mesh front door. That precludes the whole "bottom-to-top" air channeling/ducting idea (with air filtering done at bottom/ingress), but as long as you don't mind the negative pressure aspect I mentioned.... just have the air come through the mesh door, through and out the back of each the servers/chassis, seal gaps between them with 1U and larger blank panels, and exhaust out the top/back. Done!

If you replace the mesh door with a solid and/or glass one... put your bulky rackmount UPS on the bottom (maybe support it with an additional rack shelf). Secure "wings" to the bottom corners to partially (doesn't have to be perfect!) seal the the area below it as a boxlike "cavity" for air ingress, force the air through the front between the door and chassis... the rest is similar to the above but it's a semi-sealed bottom-to-top channel so you can augment with filtering. Done!

Reactions: WeekendWarrior

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
"Try (without) before you buy" definitely makes sense. If you think you need the deadener sheets, just search fleabay for "butyl deadener". You might be pleasantly surprised about pricing.

Awesome! I highly recommend adding the thermostat, assuming the fans you already got are USB powered.

BTW bear in mind if you are only exhausting air out from the top, that's negative pressure. I guess not a big deal if your overall environment is clean enough and you don't mind blowing out your servers with compressed air once or twice a year.

I just caught on that it appears you have a mesh front door. That precludes the whole "bottom-to-top" air channeling/ducting idea (with air filtering done at bottom/ingress), but as long as you don't mind the negative pressure aspect I mentioned.... just have the air come through the mesh door, through and out the back of each the servers/chassis, seal gaps between them with 1U and larger blank panels, and exhaust out the top/back. Done!

If you replace the mesh door with a solid and/or glass one... put your bulky rackmount UPS on the bottom (maybe support it with an additional rack shelf). Secure "wings" to the bottom corners to partially (doesn't have to be perfect!) seal the the area below it as a boxlike "cavity" for air ingress, force the air through the front between the door and chassis... the rest is similar to the above but it's a semi-sealed bottom-to-top channel so you can augment with filtering. Done!
My front rack door is glass (so solid) and the back door is solid metal, so no mesh anywhere. Here is the link.

LINIER ® - 22U LINIER® Server Cabinet - Glass/Solid Doors - 24" Depth #3101-3-024-22

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
My front rack door is glass (so solid) and the back door is solid metal, so no mesh anywhere. Here is the link.

LINIER ® - 22U LINIER® Server Cabinet - Glass/Solid Doors - 24" Depth #3101-3-024-22
Ah! Was looking this thread and the pic over too hastily :cool: In a way you have a similar issue here with the inability to duct/channel the air. Plus, the open back is fine for a noisy DC or colo, but not for home.

The following might work ...

Fashion a boxlike "cavity" at the bottom (again it doesn't have to be perfect), using the UPS and/or a rack shelf. The "wings" part I was talking about... the big box stores have rubber-like sheets that are ribbed or cleated. I wish I knew what the stuff is called or officially used for, but these could be added to the shelf to help seal the cavity. I happened to have the stuff in the garage from an earlier project (commuter bike mud flaps... way too much of it left over but glad I kept it).

Side note: for that rectangular cutout at the bottom.... simply get the smallest air filter you can find (typical type used for home AC registers) to cover that. Heck, use duct tape to secure it... you now have some decent filtration!

So back to the boxlike cavity.. keep it open at the front. Install rack-mount fans there... like these! It's a bit pricey but it comes with the thermostat. Reverse the fans if needed so the air blows out and to the front, and is forced up between the glass door and servers.

Use the blank panels between servers as necessary and let the cooler air go through and exhaust out the back of each server (and any other chassis in there).

If you can live with the noise, leave the mesh back as is; otherwise, cover it on the inside with butyl deadener sheets and exhaust air out the top (or top of the back). Redneck engineering at its finest!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ah! Was looking this thread and the pic over too hastily :cool: In a way you have a similar issue here with the inability to duct/channel the air. Plus, the open back is fine for a noisy DC or colo, but not for home.

The following might work ...

Fashion a boxlike "cavity" at the bottom (again it doesn't have to be perfect), using the UPS and/or a rack shelf. The "wings" part I was talking about... the big box stores have rubber-like sheets that are ribbed or cleated. I wish I knew what the stuff is called or officially used for, but these could be added to the shelf to help seal the cavity. I happened to have the stuff in the garage from an earlier project (commuter bike mud flaps... way too much of it left over but glad I kept it).

Side note: for that rectangular cutout at the bottom.... simply get the smallest air filter you can find (typical type used for home AC registers) to cover that. Heck, use duct tape to secure it... you now have some decent filtration!

So back to the boxlike cavity.. keep it open at the front. Install rack-mount fans there... like these! It's a bit pricey but it comes with the thermostat. Reverse the fans if needed so the air blows out and to the front, and is forced up between the glass door and servers.

Use the blank panels between servers as necessary and let the cooler air go through and exhaust out the back of each server (and any other chassis in there).

If you can live with the noise, leave the mesh back as is; otherwise, cover it on the inside with butyl deadener sheets and exhaust air out the top (or top of the back). Redneck engineering at its finest!
I don't have a mesh back. Front door is glass and back door is solid metal. I know the picture is showing a mesh back but it is indeed solid.

I actually looked at that 2u fan setup from AC Infinity but never thought to use it as you described, great idea. Maybe using a shelf like this flipped upside down with a 2U blank panel cover in the back and the AC Inifnity mounted in front would work in the bottom 2U. UPS would go above that.

Last edited:
Reactions: miraculix

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
I don't have a mesh back. Front door is glass and back door is solid metal. I know the picture is showing a mesh back but it is indeed solid.

I actually looked at that 2u fan setup from AC Infinity but never thought to use it as you described, great idea. Maybe using a shelf like this flipped upside down with a 2U blank panel cover in the back and the AC Inifnity mounted in front would work in the bottom 2U. UPS would go above that.
That sounds like it would work well! I'll probably do something very similar once I have time. Since air would be sucked through the box you'd probably want to seal it more fully than I previously suggested.

And... I really need to stop multitasking and attempting to speed read through posts in the morning! I thought the 700 comment was in reference to depth, not price o_O If you're going with the 24inch/600mm depth version, that's fine for an X10SDV based VSAN cluster and LAN switch, but it can be constraining for additional stuff, especially dense storage servers.

On a related note I'll have to post my crackpot 480mm short depth version of a Norco RPC-2212 based FreeNAS build once it's up and running in a week or two. just gotta tap new holes for the ITX board and shorten the DC side wiring loom (I did say crackpot!)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
That sounds like it would work well! I'll probably do something very similar once I have time. Since air would be sucked through the box you'd probably want to seal it more fully than I previously suggested.

And... I really need to stop multitasking and attempting to speed read through posts in the morning! I thought the 700 comment was in reference to depth, not price o_O If you're going with the 24inch/600mm depth version, that's fine for an X10SDV based VSAN cluster and LAN switch, but it can be constraining for additional stuff, especially dense storage servers.

On a related note I'll have to post my crackpot 480mm short depth version of a Norco RPC-2212 based FreeNAS build once it's up and running in a week or two. just gotta tap new holes for the ITX board and shorten the DC side wiring loom (I did say crackpot!)
The rack has 24" max mounting depth and 27" total depth from front to back. I think 24" mounting depth will perfect for what I need. The only chassis I have pushing that depth is my 4U storage server box that is about 22.5" deep.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
The rack has 24" max mounting depth and 27" total depth from front to back. I think 24" mounting depth will perfect for what I need. The only chassis I have pushing that depth is my 4U storage server box that is about 22.5" deep.
you have to make sure your inner depth, not outer depth.

I believe 24" is outer depth, and inner depth could be less thatn 23"..
this is impossible to put 4U server case of 22.5" deep.

if you need to to customized . I took from netshelter CX example on how to put fans on the back not on the top,and cold and hot air flow.

blue is cold intake, read is hot outtake;
BOTTOM view
upload_2016-3-29_16-19-55.png

TOP view
upload_2016-3-29_16-23-3.png

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It's 24" inner depth and 27" outer depth I searched a long time to find the right sized rack.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Reactions: T_Minus

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
SEXY! CONGRATS on the kiddos...err I mean wife :p

I ain't gonna lie, since bringing 3 bundles of joy into the world I now have abt 1/2 the 'geek out' time as I used to and not nearly as much energy after engaging them all day...working from home helps but still...enjoy the work/life/family/geek-out balance...it's a fine one.

Reactions: Chuntzu

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I do like cases with trayless HDD baclplanes for home use. Only downside is that you need form-factor accurate adapters if you want to plug in 2.5" drives. Otherwise they are GREAT in an environment where things change a lot.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
...I ain't gonna lie, since bringing 3 bundles of joy into the world I now have abt 1/2 the 'geek out' time as I used to and not nearly as much energy after engaging them all day...working from home helps but still...enjoy the work/life/family/geek-out balance...it's a fine one.
In 20 years you'll get that time back - and your wife will be "glad you have a hobby", or something like that. I've just reached that point - the kiddos growing up goes by in a flash (or maybe that's just something us old-farts end up saying...).

Enjoy them while you can.

Reactions: Chuntzu and whitey

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
In 20 years you'll get that time back - and your wife will be "glad you have a hobby", or something like that. I've just reached that point - the kiddos growing up goes by in a flash (or maybe that's just something us old-farts end up saying...).

Enjoy them while you can.
Yep, I have 3/6/9 yr olds, blow my mind that the 9 yr old has effectively lived 1/2 his life with me before he 'flys the coop' if he's anything like me so I definitely I cherish/soak in all the time I am fortunate to spend with them...goes by WAY to fast.

Reactions: PigLover