Fiber pull to detached

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
It's time to start running fiber to my detached building and I had originally planned to pull a single pre-terminated set but it appears you can buy some fiber bundles with 4,6, or 8 terminated sets of fiber so it's one bundle.

The connection on the end looks weird to me though? Are they made for a fiber patch panel they just push into or what?

1 end will go in my custom pfsense appliance (Intel x520 card) and the other end is planned for my netgear 52p switch. If I get a single cable/bundle it will go unused for now / be backup if something bad occurs with the 'in use' fiber.

Anyway, what do you guys think pull 1 or 2 'sold pre-terminated' lengths I need or go with something as a bundle, and require different connections at the devices?

Is there a suggested jacket material, jacket thickness, etc, for fiber going between buildings/in conduit?
I'm only going 125' or so total for this run by the way.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
MPT MPO cables? FS.COM
Use MPT/MPO as a trunk and put an MTP/MPO Cassettes on each end to get normal LC connection.
Yep! That looks like it.

This right?

12 Fibers OM3 12 Strands MTP Trunk Cable 3.0mm | FS.COM

And is this what you're suggesting?
12 Fibers MTP-12 LC MPO/MTP Cassette Module, OM3, Polarity A | FS.COM

I saw another cable that went MTP on one side to the normal LC on the other, this if it works how you're suggesting may be simpler / save $ too. One side do a cassette, and one side already has the 4 or 6 available LC connections ready to go.

Thoughts?

Anything else I'd need?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I'm liking those custom mounted, but other than that is there a reason to go one or another?

Could go with this setup:

- Between Buildings: 24 Fibers OM4 12 Strands MTP Trunk Cable 3.0mm | FS.COM (Yeah I went with a 2nd)
- On both sides: Black Full Flange SC Footprint MTP Adapter w/ 2 Dust Caps
- On both sides: 1m breakout cable: 12 Fibers MTP-12 to 6 LC UPC Duplex Breakout OM4 50/125 Multimode HD BIF Fiber Optic Cable, LSZH Bunch | FS.COM

And for anyone who goes OMG insane bandwidth, yep, but I'm more so looking so that options between the buildings are greater than a couple, and going from OM3 to OM4 isn't much $ for even more potential and it's way future proofing any expansion as a whole. It sure would be nice to send the e-mail in... "upgrade me to 1gig" LOL some day :D for now can drool at my unused building connection LOL.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I have seen many fibertronics-store ads, especially MTP products. Are their products good? I usually buy from fs.com, they are much cheaper than fiberstronics-store. and so far, have no problem at all.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I'm liking those custom mounted, but other than that is there a reason to go one or another?

Could go with this setup:

- Between Buildings: 24 Fibers OM4 12 Strands MTP Trunk Cable 3.0mm | FS.COM (Yeah I went with a 2nd)
- On both sides: Black Full Flange SC Footprint MTP Adapter w/ 2 Dust Caps
- On both sides: 1m breakout cable: 12 Fibers MTP-12 to 6 LC UPC Duplex Breakout OM4 50/125 Multimode HD BIF Fiber Optic Cable, LSZH Bunch | FS.COM

And for anyone who goes OMG insane bandwidth, yep, but I'm more so looking so that options between the buildings are greater than a couple, and going from OM3 to OM4 isn't much $ for even more potential and it's way future proofing any expansion as a whole. It sure would be nice to send the e-mail in... "upgrade me to 1gig" LOL some day :D for now can drool at my unused building connection LOL.
Why not do this, that way you can have a cleaner look without excess cables dangling.
24 Fibers MTP-12 LC Cassette Module, OM4, Polarity A | FS.COM

99 + patch cables vs 185

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Why not do this, that way you can have a cleaner look without excess cables dangling.
24 Fibers MTP-12 LC Cassette Module, OM4, Polarity A | FS.COM

99 + patch cables vs 185
If I go that route I have a concern of needing a 'frame' to put those cassettes in... can I simply make a wooden bracket or use some AL and put a whole (rectangle) in it to hold the cassettes and off I go?

The other thought mentioned above I could put some holes in the wood screw those in, MTP connection on bottom, and LC out top to go into switch or future panel.

If I go with cassette I'm still leaning toward the MTP-12 to 6x LC and adding a 2nd later when I use the additional 6 pair.

If it's simply coming down to saving money, extra wires yet both solutions work I'll make up my mind based on install requirements then. :)

Thanks for feedback.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
It's time to start running fiber to my detached building and I had originally planned to pull a single pre-terminated set but it appears you can buy some fiber bundles with 4,6, or 8 terminated sets of fiber so it's one bundle.

The connection on the end looks weird to me though? Are they made for a fiber patch panel they just push into or what?
Unless you have a conduit that is too small to fish a bunch of SC connectors through, I'd suggest just using a traditional multi-fiber bundle with SC connectors and rack-mount patch panels on both ends (you do have racks, right? ;)).

Then use short SC/LC patch cables to go from the patch panel to your devices.

These days there isn't much cost saving from using multimode (short reach, aqua colored cables) vs. singlemode (long reach, yellow cables). I haven't installed any new multimode in over a decade. The one thing you need to watch out for in singlemode is UPC (blue) vs. APC (green) connectors. These have to go blue-to-blue or green-to-green. A blue-to-green connection will damage one or both connectors.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@Terry Kennedy you're suggesting just running 12 of these? 3m (10ft) SC UPC to SC UPC Simplex 2.0mm PVC(OFNR) OM4 Multimode Fiber Optic Patch Cable | FS.COM
Looks like 125' of those @ 2mm & PVC jacket is $12.53 -- so * 12 = $150.36

That's probably a lot to put in 1" conduit though?

Appreciate the advice @Terry Kennedy

It does kind of put things in perspective though, I could pull enough for 1 fiber connection and be "fine" now and that's only $12 or $24? via above link... tempting to just pull 3 pairs so I have at-least a couple options but I'm only invested into it for $36. :) This is sounding better than dropping $400+ on the MTP trunk cable itself.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
@Terry Kennedy you're suggesting just running 12 of these? 3m (10ft) SC UPC to SC UPC Simplex 2.0mm PVC(OFNR) OM4 Multimode Fiber Optic Patch Cable | FS.COM
Looks like 125' of those @ 2mm & PVC jacket is $12.53 -- so * 12 = $150.36
Eep! :eek:

No, something like this (assuming you're buying from fs.com). You don't want splices / couplers in conduit and you want a more robust jacket. Note that the item I linked is singlemode, not multimode. It has a large number of options (In your case I'd do SC/UPC on both ends, staggered on at least the end you're pulling (to cut down on bulk) , and a light-duty pulling eye on one end.

This is the multimode version, though for some reason it is only OM2. If you're committed to multimode, see if you can get it in a higher grade. Pic of OM2 multimode version:

That's probably a lot to put in 1" conduit though?
Any bends in the conduit? The only issue with the item I linked is how big the "head" is - a bundle of 12 non-staggered SC won't fit. In general, assuming a suitably strong cable and a not-insane number of bends, there isn't a lot that sufficent strength and a big bucket of cable snot can't overcome. The seller should be able to tell you the minimum conduit size needed to fit the head / pulling eye through.
It does kind of put things in perspective though, I could pull enough for 1 fiber connection and be "fine" now and that's only $12 or $24? via above link... tempting to just pull 3 pairs so I have at-least a couple options but I'm only invested into it for $36. :) This is sounding better than dropping $400+ on the MTP trunk cable itself.
You should pretty much assume that your first pull through a conduit is a "lifetime pull", unless you'e doing large conduit with innerducts, or a specialty system like the Samsung blown fiber. Whatever you try pulling in next will give your existing cable(s) "rope burn", and you get various issues like water / dirt intrusion, collapsed conduit, etc. I've run into cases like a 4" conduit being unusable despite only having a 25-pair phone cable and a strong pull rope in it, and only about 100° of cumulative bends. [Long story - don't ask.]

I'd suggest pulling a couple CAT 5 cables (no ends, just electrical tape them to the fiber starting after the pulling eye ends) for things like phones, doorbells, garage door openers, etc. Even if you don't use them now, you'll have them for later.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Nope. You need a thicker jacket, possibly armor (if you have a rodent problem), and "glop" in the middle to prevent water intrusion.
In the trade we call the "glop in the middle" you are talking about "icky-pick". Most fiber we run is dielectric. Dielectric fiber is cheaper, lighter and more flexible.

I really, really like LanShack.com for pre-terminated whips. They have just about every option for fiber including aerial, direct burial and for use in conduit.

Reactions: T_Minus

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
In the trade we call the "glop in the middle" you are talking about "icky-pick".
I know that, but for most people here "glop in the middle" is a useful description. Of course, we could talk orange cleaner, rosin bags, and sleeving all day, but we'd be boring everyone else.
Most fiber we run is dielectric. Dielectric fiber is cheaper, lighter and more flexible.
The application determines what the best fit is. Most people here aren't working with big (192-strand and up) cables, but just a few pair over short (hundreds of feet) distances. The question was for direct burial - it will almost certainly be cheaper to use a cable rated for conduit and throw it into some Schedule 40 conduit than it would be to do direct burial.

Reactions: T_Minus