Fiber Channel Howto?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Does anyone know of a decent FC howto? I have to help configure some FC setups for a project we are working on. One end is a Dell PowerVault NX3200 (Windows Storage Server 2012 R2) with a two port HBA and the other end is one or two Dell server(s) (Server 2008 R2) with a single port HBA. No one at my office has ever used FC and had I been involved earlier in the project I would have picked something else.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
What are you trying to do? The NX3200 runs server 2012 R2. You would serve storage up via SMB, iSCSI or NFS.

PowerVault NX family of NAS appliances details | Dell

PowerVault NX Windows NAS series configuration guide | Dell

I happen to be a Dell Partner. :0)
Yep, I have connected to it. I think we are stuck using FC because they don't want the data going over a standard network (in the end, the system will plot E9-1-1 calls for an entire state).

We were told by our partner in the project that we have to use FC for the traffic from the NX3200 to the web servers, so we will.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I'm reasonably certain that windows 2012 R2 can't be a FiberChannel target (at least without some extra software). I suspect that you are perhaps just running regular ethernet over direct-attached optical NICs in which case the configuration part is exactly the same as if it was over Cat5/6 cabling.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I know back in the day you could set the QLE246x's to target mode in Windows. If I remember right it was an option in the "Driver" tab in the properties of the device, located in the system manager.

I'm not sure the QLE256x's support it. I've never heard of anyone using the QLE256x's for target mode.

Even if you did get it in target mode I'm not sure how you would go about sharing an array. I would imagine it would be similar to sharing a iSCSI LUN, but you would be entering the WWN's of the other FC HBA into the host list.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Putting the HBA into target mode would allow software to use it to present a FC target - but MS still doesn't provide that software. Just like just having a NIC doesn't let you do iSCSI targets, you need more than just the hardware.

lundrog

Jan 23, 2015
Minnesota
vroger.com
The NX3200 isn't designed to be used with fiber. Sorry.. You'll need 10GB ethernet to get any good speeds. But i'll be honest, I would almost never sell that unit unless it's a backup target for tape.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
The NX3200 isn't designed to be used with fiber. Sorry.. You'll need 10GB ethernet to get any good speeds. But i'll be honest, I would almost never sell that unit unless it's a backup target for tape.
I didn't specify it. I wish I had specified the storage device because it would have been something else.

lundrog

Jan 23, 2015
Minnesota
vroger.com
Map data and cache tiles for an E9-1-1 mapping system serving an entire state.
sigh... To bad a budet wasn't wrapped around the project. I would like to see something like that on a Highly Available system. Well the storage servers are nothing but a windows server with a storage server ( customized ) version of windows server loaded. Treat it like any other windows server. PM me if you need PS, and I'll get you a reduced rate.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Yeah, I wish it was a HA storage system. I also wish we could have gotten TrueNAS from ixSystems so we had ZFS, but that is just me.

lundrog

Jan 23, 2015
Minnesota
vroger.com
Yeah, I wish it was a HA storage system. I also wish we could have gotten TrueNAS from ixSystems so we had ZFS, but that is just me.
I have in the past loaded ESXi on those boxes, in a two node config with vCenter at least you would have mobility, etc. Not on HCL, but it's basically a Dell R720.