[Feeler] [US-VA] 3x HP DL325, Epyc 24 core 7402p

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Hey Guys,
Thinking about going in a different direction - Have 3x HP DL325 7402p with 64GB ram. These are setup for 10x NVME drives. (Has the additional 2x NVME sled, all HP cabling and all the performance fans.) - can also include the original 8x drive SAS3 backplane, cables, raid controller and backup battery. Bought these in January of this year and still have the original warranty.

(not sure if to included in sale or separately as its 2k/server in drives alone)
In addition each server has 4x NVME drives - Each server has 1x 3.2 Samsung 1725B & 3x Intel 7.68 NVME SSD.

Just a feeler - See if there is any interest or not.. These were setup to play with VSAN - while it works and does what its supposed to do - I feel I'd need to add 2 more servers to get the performance I really prefer, and at this point becomes a little cost prohibitive for home lab.. lol

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
2. You must not post just to gauge interest on items. Search for an appropriate price before posting. You must post a price or a list of items you are willing to trade for in your post. You may not have an auction style listing.

Chris

Reactions: Samir

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
These were setup to play with VSAN - while it works and does what its supposed to do - I feel I'd need to add 2 more servers to get the performance I really prefer, and at this point becomes a little cost prohibitive for home lab.. lol
Forget it - little to no speed up with 6 disk groups either - been there, done that.

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Hey Guys,
Thinking about going in a different direction - Have 3x HP DL325 7402p with 64GB ram. These are setup for 10x NVME drives. (Has the additional 2x NVME sled, all HP cabling and all the performance fans.) - can also include the original 8x drive SAS3 backplane, cables, raid controller and backup battery. Bought these in January of this year and still have the original warranty.

(not sure if to included in sale or separately as its 2k/server in drives alone)
In addition each server has 4x NVME drives - Each server has 1x 3.2 Samsung 1725B & 3x Intel 7.68 NVME SSD.

Just a feeler - See if there is any interest or not.. These were setup to play with VSAN - while it works and does what its supposed to do - I feel I'd need to add 2 more servers to get the performance I really prefer, and at this point becomes a little cost prohibitive for home lab.. lol
Im just a rule breaker it seems - im thinking about 1700/each as the nvme parts and fans added about 500 - so my cost per server was a little over 2100/each in January.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Interesting - but true unfortunately:/
I gave up on coaxing more perf out of vSan. Found that actual cpu also is of little consequence (at least at 2.4GHz+ which is my minimum due to VDI) so trying to move down to e3's now for the cluster

Difficult to find boards with enough pcie slots/lanes for my requirements though;)

Cixelyn

Researcher
Nov 7, 2018
San Francisco
Could be interested depending on the price -- will PM you a bit later.

Thanks so much for your earlier thread though! I followed your original instructions to set up a single 2x NVME DL325; currently in the process of deciding whether I should continue to scale out the experiment or not :D

Not using it for vSAN though; running some parallel FS experiments.

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Could be interested depending on the price -- will PM you a bit later.

Thanks so much for your earlier thread though! I followed your original instructions to set up a single 2x NVME DL325; currently in the process of deciding whether I should continue to scale out the experiment or not :D

Not using it for vSAN though; running some parallel FS experiments.

I was playing with scaling out.. And now im thinking to scale down.. Lol. - its a vicious and expensive cycle.. Lol

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
What is the sound level like on these?
If you're parting out the drives, I might be interested in a server itself (though that may make some other purchases have to wait...)

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
What is the sound level like on these?
If you're parting out the drives, I might be interested in a server itself (though that may make some other purchases have to wait...)
Actually.. They weren't bad.. Until adding in the hard drives and 2x bay nvme.. Which required additional fans.. Then they got a bit loud..

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
So - I won't part drives unless servers are sold. (or as lot) - Prefer selling as whole lot - still have the original ship boxes. I'm in no need to sell, hence why the original feeler title. I AM open to REASONABLE offers. - Willing to drive for in person meet/swap (Reasonable distance)

I currently have it setup as 3 disk groups per server, with the 1725 split into 3 name spaces as the cache drive for each disk group. My read/write speeds as a whole are up to 1000MB write, and 550MB read (Via VSAN)- honestly I kinda of lost interest for the project at the moment + VSAN ended up 75% of my ram.

FWIW - these were the servers on sale @ provantage for around 1650+ tax. These were upgraded to full NVME chassis, which put them about 2100 my cost. Hence why my 1700 price/each with OUT drives. 1725 cost me about 475/ea and Intel 4502's cost average of 625/each. Hence my my price of around 2k per server per drive set.

1725b (3.2TB)
Sequential Read: Up to 3,500 MB/s
Sequential Write: Up to 3,100 MB/s
Random Read: Up to 800,000 IOPS
Random Write: Up to 190,000 IOPS

Intel 4502 (7.68TB) (don't have more spec than this)
Sequential Read: Up to 1,800 MB/s
Sequential Write: Up to 1,200 MB/s

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's your equipment and your rules! :)
But I think that there's more than some interest already:
Cookiesowns seems to want a server + drives
(me) wants a server and TLN wants the drives.
So that sounds like if reasonable prices can be hashed out, then two of three servers are already looking good...

Surely there must be more lurkers?
MM