Feedback/suggestions for X9DAi build? Need RAM, CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ealvar

Mar 4, 2013
I managed to pick up a SuperMicro SuperWorkstation 7047A-T with the optional 8x2.5" upper drive bay which I plan on using as a virtualization workstation (2012 R2 Hyper-V with nested vSphere 5.5 perhaps?).

I have 8x3tb ST3000VN001 & 8x120gb M500 for storage. I'll be using an LSI 9210-8i for the SSDs and the onboard SATA for the spinners.

I'm stuck at CPU & RAM, however.

Logical side says a pair of E5 V2 quad core with higher clock makes the most sense and would be the most affordable, but the geek pr0n side says get slower 10 core v2 ES procs. '40 vcores, omg, so sick'.

Also, i'd like 128gb at a minimum. Should i just fill it with 16x8gb or do 8x16gb and give myself some expandability? Or just go cheap and fill it up with 16x4gb and settle for 64gb? I understand this is a subjective question and really depends on what the heck I'll be putting on the box.

I imagine I'll be focusing mostly on vSphere (took the DCV class, still prepping for exam) until I get that certification, then I want to move on to an upgraded MCSE (Infrastructure and then cloud). Plus the requisite AD environment, SCCM VMs, SQL server(s), W2k16 CTP, etc.

Any recommendations on affordable RAM for the X9DAi is greatly appreciated. CPUs?

Thanks,

Erik

ealvar

Mar 4, 2013
Side note... I picked up this chassis from a bankruptcy, brand new, for $300. The budget minded side of me says to just pick up the cheapest quads and 16x4gb to keep my costs low.