Fan Removed. SM Board thinks it's still there?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I removed a case from from being attached to a SuperMicro X10 board and after rebooting, all fans are spun up 100% because that fan header (FANA) where the removed fan was attached is reading as 0 RPM and thus below lower critcal threshold. Do I have to do a CMOS reset to fix this? And remind me, does resetting the CMOS erase my IPMI config?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Did you completely remove power from the board? The fans are scanned at IPMI startup. If it finds one when building the SDB it will expect it to be there. Either remove power completely or do an IPMI restart from the IPMI WebUI. That should cause the SDB to be rebuilt without that fan.

Reactions: Evan

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Did you completely remove power from the board? The fans are scanned at IPMI startup. If it finds one when building the SDB it will expect it to be there. Either remove power completely or do an IPMI restart from the IPMI WebUI. That should cause the SDB to be rebuilt without that fan.
I had done a reboot restart through IPMI WebUI but removing the power completely is what did it. Thanks.