failed to wipe disk da1: operation not permitted: '/dev/da1'

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcizzo

Jan 31, 2023
hey folks, i'm having an issue.
i'm trying my first build with truenas core 13.
i've got the os installed across 2 ssds and i'm trying to create a pool consisting of 4HDD's.

every time i try to create the pool, it gives me that error message. all 4 drives have been tested and work properly, non of them are partitioned. even if they were partitioned, when i add them, it's supposed to auto de-partition them. it says it! "all data will be lost". if i single out the offending HDD and attempt to do a 'wipe', it gives me the same error message.. nothing should be this difficult

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Run 'fdisk -l' and post results; its very likely they already have partition table written on them; and your goal would be to remove it. Potentially with a tool like sg_format.

jcizzo

Jan 31, 2023
i was able to resolve the issue.. there was an existing partition table.. i rebooted the box with a gparted boot drive and used it to examine the drives. the two that were causing issues had something weird about them. gparted directed me to create a table (msdos of all things) and afterwards all came up as blank drives.. no clue why i had to associate the drives with msdos for them to be recognized so i could create a zfs pool. PLUS, you'd think that wiping them would cure the problems but it returned the same problem. if anyone has an explanation..

Reactions: CyklonDX