F5 Acquires NGINX

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wsuff, Mar 11, 2019.

1. wsuff

wsuff Member

2. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

Hmmm - not a good thing. Yet again a "closed" platform buys out the leading open platform that is pressuring their margins and their ability to charge above-market prices.

F5 has always had great products. But they've been very slow to develop new products and revenue streams as their legacy gets pressured by the open software alternatives.

T_Minus and StevenDTX like this.
  3. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

You guys are on it! Cliff's piece is scheduled for 1:01AM tomorrow. We had 3 pieces go live today already.

wsuff, gigatexal and T_Minus like this.
  4. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

Crowd sourced news from the STH forum peeps!

5. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

We do not cover a ton of news so we are more set up for pre-briefs -> time to write -> coverage.

Deals are usually not pre-briefed. So it is either Cliff or I seeing it, then it gets written, then scheduled. If we do that, you guys usually beat our process.

It may seem strange since most of the industry just pushes news 24x7. I am trying to keep us mostly aligned to do hands-on reviews.

gigatexal likes this.
  6. gigatexal

It wasn’t a critique just a pat on the back for us eager STHers. The super in-depth articles are very welcome.

7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I figured as much. We get some unhappy notes when our news lands a bit later. There are many tech sites with hordes of writers waiting to put a paragraph or two together at any news.

I like sharing what we do and why so people can get insights into the process as well.

Ouraing and T_Minus like this.
  8. gigatexal

Lol don’t worry about those guys. In fact screw ‘em. To think any of us would give you guys flak for being “late” to get content up for us to wax philosophical about should be at best flattery and at worst just stupidity on our part. STH is doing an amazing job. If there was no news but articles and these amazing forums it’d be great but you tack on the news pieces that aren’t clickbait garbage and it’s fantastic.

STH is on my rotation. I visit STH, anandtech, arstechnica, Twitter, hacker news, and thetechreport for their daily tech rollups.

9. gigatexal

Do you think the Mac Pro might be more modular or more traditional? I’ve been thinking about your take on the HPC setup and wonder if Apple might be thinking the same just for the pro-Sumer market.