F@H BigAdv ending - will more 2p & 4p machines to come to market?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I know that multiprocessor F@H rigs are probably only a drop in the bucket compared with all the Data center part outs following upgrades, but I'm curious as to whether this might lead to more high performance rigs coming out.

Most of the BigAdv rigs are either dual socket Intels, or quad socket AMD rigs, the latter of which consume a lot of power, but they all pack a lot of CPU power for the home user. For those that don't know, BigAdv folding is designed for high performance servers.

With the BigAdv project earmarked for closure over the next 12 months or so, there are already people talking about selling them off, but I'm interested to see whether they are sold, or whether they are held onto and whether they anyone notices an impact from them. I suspect they wont, but could be a deal or two out there for people.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would imagine this will happen. I had multiple 2P and 4P systems running Folding@Home when BigAdv was first being run on the G34 platforms. Electricity costs got too high and GPUs became more competitive so I divested of the 4P rigs. Likely the same will happen for folks that only have the machines for folding.

Then again, you are probably talking about an insignificant number of machines in the total sum of used machines on the market.