External authentication with Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'm still using local authentication with Proxmox. I see that there's permissions to allow users to make VMs and access specific VMs but I haven't hooked up external authentication.

Has anyone done this with an LDAP or RADIUS server? Any tips? I'm trying to stay away from AD.

Jan 30, 2016
I have Proxmox working with LDAP but it only does authentication not authorisation. So groups and users still have to be created in proxmox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Guess this is also what i have in mind.
Against LDAP it's only auth (checking Username / Password) but not about getting rights from the directory.
What makes it kind a nonsense, besides i.e. let the directory manage password(change)-policy and being a single source for the PW.
Also, users not present anymore in the directory would be denied.

gradinaruvasile

Jun 29, 2017
AD works out of the box. And it does NOT need a dedicated bind account (unlike most solutions out there.)

I did test local auth with AD users (the PVE box was bound into AD with realmd). This works too. Bonus here is the console right for physical nodes.

But you have to create users in the WEB UI which is not a big deal for a handful of users.

Reactions: _alex and T_Minus