Exploring Turnkey Proxmox LXC Templates

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Has anyone used the Proxmox LXC templates extensively?

I see a few in there that I'm considering trying out. I see GitLab, Ansible, File Server, Observium and a few others. I also saw nextCloud in there.

How well do they work? I want to move some VMs to containers backed by ZFS and this looks like it's a way to do so without installing Docker on Proxmox.

Man though... if Proxmox ever said "wait we're supporting Docker and Kubernetes" this thing would be off the hook.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have tried the turnkey file server lxc and even their emby setup.
They work well. My only true issues with using it , is a but confusing overall setup and use of storage folders, default install locations and user management.
Don't get me wring, it all works and all but for me it takes a bit of getting used to where everything is. I kind of preffere things setuped in more plain linux manner and standard ways.
So except for file server, as it has a very good overall configurations, I have been setting up all other VMs my way. I load a plain debian lxc and configure it my way.

zxv

The more I C, the less I see.
Sep 10, 2017
If LXC works well with ZFS it may be better to stick with LXC than docker.

In my experience, docker's ZFS storage driver has certain issues that cause containers to break, while the same containers work just fine on the default overlay storage driver.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Well the best part in proxmox is that you can use storage in the host within container easily.
I do not mean using local store space. I mean adding a totally independent storage pool to the host and bind mount that into container. Than you can fully administer the storage with in container yet host can still monitor the pool and underneath hardware as well.
That is what I do. I have local store on host for config files and vm disks. But I also have several pools thay only used within containers yet I can still access it via host as well since they are created and mounted on host. Right this minute I am fully rebuilding the setup as I lost whole host do to psu failure. My psu guve out gradually over 2 month slowly corrupting main pool disks untill both os disks failed leaving me without good backup for the host.
I reinstall proxmox. Imported my pools in and now can ssh into host to watch a movie or get some data if needed , until I rebuild my emby container.