Exploring Intel Xeon D Evolution from Xeon D-1500 to Xeon D-2100

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Patrick Kennedy, Feb 13, 2018.

2. mstone

mstone Active Member

intel seemingly just refuses to deliver a lot cost, low power server platform. every time they take baby steps in that direction they end up reverting to the mean and selling something big and hot and expensive. gotta keep those margins pumped up.

3. XeonLab

XeonLab New Member

So basically the difference between Skylake-SP (Silver/Gold) and Skylake-D is 2 memory channels and physical size (no mITX/FlexATX with Skylake-SP)?

4. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

@XeonLab a bit more nuanced than that. With the socket, you also have additional options such as upgrading platforms in-place and the potential do go DP.

5. TangoWhiskey9

TangoWhiskey9 Active Member

I don't know how to feel. The new ones look like they're in a different performance and power class than the old. I thought it'd be cut and dry more speed and about the same power but that's really not the case.

If you're going bigger than ITX anyway then you're also in the territory of E5's.

Why do other sites seem to say these are direct replacements and STH is testing them and saying that isn't the case?

6. mstone

mstone Active Member

Because they're copying intel's marketing glossies, and intel has no real explainable strategy for all their SKUs. It's really gotten that bad.

edit to add: I guess you could count "no matter how much money you have in your pocket, we have a SKU that costs exactly that much" as a strategy, but it's pretty weak.

Aquatechie likes this.
  7. Deslok

Deslok Active Member

That's an interesting point about going DP, is it in theory possible for someone to make a DP Xeon-2100 board?

8. mstone

mstone Active Member

Yes, it's possible in theory. In practice, no.

9. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Official Intel spec is D-2100 only supports 1 CPU per system. You could put two systems on a PCB.

10. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

I was expecting intel would pull off the new core with the PCH improvements with similar power consumption but that is clearly not the case at all.
    I am really surprised the idle is as high as it is.

Ok great chip if you wants QAT & 10G, but with the larger core counts you want more memory than 4 slots @ 32gb will give (128gb) so then you end up not using a mini-it’s board.

Total cost may be a deciding factors but I suspect won’t be much in it.