Exploring a production Cavium ThunderX platform with a Gigabyte R120-T30 1U server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
:D :D Since that 256GB DDR4 is too much for testing it out feel free to send it my way :p

It will be interesting to see some performance comparisons.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
This is a sweeeet board!

The 16x onboard SATA ports and oodles of networking definitely caught my attention.

I've never played with any ARM gear, how do other applications handle this platform? You mentioned you were running Ubuntu 16.04, do the standard apt-get install commands work for most of the usual software? Is all of the cross compiling taken care of in the repos?

Sorry for all the questions, very curious :D

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is a sweeeet board!

The 16x onboard SATA ports and oodles of networking definitely caught my attention.

I've never played with any ARM gear, how do other applications handle this platform? You mentioned you were running Ubuntu 16.04, do the standard apt-get install commands work for most of the usual software? Is all of the cross compiling taken care of in the repos?

Sorry for all the questions, very curious :D
Subject of a future piece. 14.04 was pretty rough. 16.04 much better. There are still things like 7zip that have parts (e.g. LZMA) that are assembly coded for x86. The optimizations are mostly done on the x86 side with room to go on ARM.

Reactions: T_Minus

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
there is typo in the article

We had 4x 32GB DDR4 2133MHz RDIMMs installed but we did also add a set of 8x 256GB DDR4 RDIMMs just to validate all eight DIMM slots could be populated.

seen anything wrong?

nemykal

Dec 1, 2015
Hey Patrick, did you have any issues getting the R120-T30 to boot? I've got one that refuses to go past this message no matter which Linux I've tried (Ubuntu 16, Fedora 24). Same thing from booting UEFI off usb or with the IPMI virtual iso drive

"Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map..."

Basically this error, though I havent had any success with increasing debug verbosity - RHELSA DP 7.1: aarch64 kernel seems to hang when booting with mem=16G, debugging shows kernel panic at unpack_to_rootfs - Red Hat Customer Portal

Any ideas? :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey Patrick, did you have any issues getting the R120-T30 to boot? I've got one that refuses to go past this message no matter which Linux I've tried (Ubuntu 16, Fedora 24). Same thing from booting UEFI off usb or with the IPMI virtual iso drive

"Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map..."

Basically this error, though I havent had any success with increasing debug verbosity - RHELSA DP 7.1: aarch64 kernel seems to hang when booting with mem=16G, debugging shows kernel panic at unpack_to_rootfs - Red Hat Customer Portal

Any ideas? :)
What version of firmware are you using? I needed to upgrade firmware to go from 14.04 to 16.04 but have done testing on the Ubuntu side not RHEL.

nemykal

Dec 1, 2015
I contacted Gigabyte and received a pre-release BIOS to use, which fixed the issue. Looks like there is a problem with the D26 bios and some memory configurations.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I contacted Gigabyte and received a pre-release BIOS to use, which fixed the issue. Looks like there is a problem with the D26 bios and some memory configurations.
Sorry I missed your reply. Good to hear the BIOS fixed it. There is still some of that on these platforms.

On the 14.04 it was pre-loaded by Cavium. My advice: start from 16.04 not from 14.04. Not only is 16.04 newer and likely going to be supported longer but a lot of package repos now work in 16.04.