Experience with Amahi and greyhole? WHS replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

leagle

Jan 1, 2011
Alexandria, VA
http://www.amahi.org/
http://greyhole.pommepause.com/

I installed this into a vm last night to play with and it seems pretty interesting. Amahi is basically a very polished front end running on top of Fedora, but with the goal of being a replacement for WHS. The development team seems pretty active and has added a lot of apps to the system that make it pretty interesting. Greyhole is a drive pooling app that is used by Amahi.

Has anyone used either one of these packages before?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Not yet. From all that I have read it is not stable yet. Until it is, I don't think it is a serious WHS replacement. When it does get to be stable, I will probably do a writeup.

If you have any experiences, please do share!

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Yeah last time I checked it still had a long way to go and some major issues. Some of the things it does like a 'landing drive' for the data is the kind of old-school stuff that WHS did in the beginning and then moved away from. So based on everything I've read Amahi seems more like a step backward from WHS than a step forward. God bless em for trying though, and hopefully things improve.

Last edited:

leagle

Jan 1, 2011
Alexandria, VA
It has only been a couple of days, but I'm pretty annoyed by Amahi's desire to be my DHCP server and caching dns server. Actually, desire isn't a strong enough word. I turned off the Amahi DHCP server and kept my existing dns and now it seems like I can't access some of the apps that I installed. Ugh. I haven't even made it to testing greyhole yet because of this.

Sebastian

Jan 3, 2011
Frankfurt/Germany
there are some problems...
- Fedora 12 has some problems with actual hardware, Fedora 14 Version is in testing/development.
- Amahi is meant to be used as a DNS, you can deactivate it, but most function will need some "handwork" to be useable without Amahi beeing your DNS
- Greyhole is sweet but it is under testing too...

BUT
if you use it on an Fedora12 compatible computer & standard configuration is ok for you, it will already work fine (and stable)
most interesting on this project for me: a plug computer version is available too!

leagle

Jan 1, 2011
Alexandria, VA
I'm running it in Fedora 12 (in a VM). I haven't experienced any hardware problems so far. I am just not ready to change some of the core components of my network (DNS and DHCP) in order to test some new software. Every TV in the house receives its live TV and streaming video over the network, and I have a couple of servers that other people need to access at pretty regular intervals. Amahi looks interesting, but I am not going to trust it to take over importants services and risk the downtime. The thing that annoys me is that from what I can tell, the main reason it wants to take control of DNS is so that it can use a local domain and give you pretty urls for your software installs. I am happy typing the ip address and path, but there doesn't seem to be an (easy) option for people like me to do that just yet.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I certainly agree with the above. I will probably have main page coverage on the Amahi + Greyhole if/ when it gets stable. Until then, I am not a big fan of recommending storing data on developmental builds. Something like ZFSguru I think is at a different stage since it is more or less a FreeBSD + ZFS web GUI.