Expand rpool virtual drives [ESXi & Napp-It]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Hi, I have two virtual drives (rpool) mirrored on two physical drives.

I set them up with 16 GB each, but that is a bit small. So now I want to enlarge them.

I set the rpool pool property to autoexpand, resized the drives in ESXi and did a scrub, but nothing happened. Still the same size.

Could someone please give me a hint (or even better –*a step by step guide) about how I should go about resizing the rpool?

(bonus question: I recently had a drive failure in my storage pool, and I replaced my 2TB drive with a 4TB drive (thinking I'm going to buy 4TB drives, and eventually replace all 2TB with 4TB and get a bigger pool. I did not have autoexpand set to on when I changed it. Will that cause a problem in the future?)

Last edited:

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thank you, but shouldn't you be able to just replace the drives with new larger one? When both drives are replaced, the pool resizes? Or add two new mirrors and remove the old one?

I was really hoping for an easier solution than the multiple reboot step-by-step list.

Is that the way you would do it @gea? :)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Is that the way you would do it @gea? :)
Just replace a disk with autoexpand works on datapools not rpool.
I would just upload the preconfigured napp-in-one ESXi appliance or reinstall completely.

If you need napp-it settings like jobs, backup/restore them from /var/web-gui/_log
otherwise even a a complete new setup is done within half an hour

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thank you, is there any quick way to clone the content of the old rpool to the new rpool? Transfer ZFS snapshot or something?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can backup/restore files and folders.
When you clone you are back at the partition resize problem.