Expand rpool in OmniOS on vmware guest

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
So I have omnios installed on a VMWare guest. rpool is a mirrored pool. I need to expand it, in searching for the best way to do this I came across this.
How to Increase rpool in OmiOS VMware Guest Without a Mirror » Nemtallah Daher's Notes | Nemtallah Daher's Notes

My concern is two items, one how do I expand the mirror? I guess I could just delete one disk in the mirror and

Second in the above links steps he actually deletes the partition then recreates it, wouldn't that delete all data on the disk?

I see a thread very similar to mine, however the suggested course of action is to just reinstall because it is easy, well I have a good bit of configuration that is outside of what napp-it would backup. Besides that feels like the nuclear approach and would rather do it without that.

Lastly I am confused where all my space went on my rpool. I have 32GB and this is what is reported:
Code:
zpool list rpool

NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool       29.8G  24.7G    5.06G         -                  82%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

df -h
Filesystem                                         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rpool/ROOT/omnios-r151008-1  6.6G  4.0G  2.6G  61% /
swap                                                   2.9G  352K  2.9G   1% /etc/svc/volatile
swap                                                   2.9G   92K  2.9G   1% /tmp
swap                                                   2.9G   88K  2.9G   1% /var/run
rpool/export                                     2.6G   32K  2.6G   1% /export
rpool/export/home                         2.6G   62K  2.6G   1% /export/home
rpool                                                   2.6G   41K  2.6G   1% /rpool

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
My concern is two items, one how do I expand the mirror? I guess I could just delete one disk in the mirror and

Second in the above links steps he actually deletes the partition then recreates it, wouldn't that delete all data on the disk?
1. remove and then detach the mirrorred disk (this is your backup idf something goes wrong)
2. delete/resize the partition (you do not delete data, you only set new end pointers of a partition)

3. on success: remirror