Exchange 2013 anyone

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Is anyone here running exchange 2013? I hear good things about its ability to run off low cost disks.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
We are looking at it but will probably wait another year to implement. I will probably set us up a test lab soon for Exchange 2013

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I was running 2013, I have since moved my organization to the Office 365 Hosted Exchange which runs Exchange 2013 as well. I think both are a good product.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
Exchange 2013 was a little flaky until RU3, since then it's been much stabler and the major bugs have been squashed, kind of excite for SP1 to come out.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
Has Exchange 2013 returned Single Instance Store? I really miss that feature.
No, and you'll never see it back. the reason being SIS has a large IOPS footprint and that doesn't match with what Microsoft has planned for Exchange. Since they removed SIS they have lowered the database IOPS requirements so low that you can pop a database on a SATA drive and be perfectly happy. And since you can get a 3TB drive SATA drive for $150, it seems a worthy trade since SIS only saved typically 25%-35%. This also coincidentally makes it easier (and cheaper) for Microsoft to supply storage for those 50GB mailboxes on Exchange Online.

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
I never understood how having a single instance of a file causes higher IOPS than multiple instances? Wouldn't a single instance have a caching effect? When an email comes, wouldn't writing attachment to disk once be considered more efficient than say 5 times?

Salami

Oct 12, 2012
Not an Exchange expert, but my two cents:

For big enough files SIS would be more efficient in terms of IOPS. But for smaller files, SIS has to read in all the files it currently has to see whether to write a new file or point to an existing file.