Exar dx1845/1845B Compression Adapter Drivers??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
This is not exactly an HBA, but this forum seemed to be the most logical place to post my question.

I picked up an Exar DX 1845B compression adapter to play with, and then went looking for any sort of drivers... With no luck, other than a few software references that led to equally dead-end information. (Exalerator, CeDeFS)

Exar Multi-Panther DX1845 B Series PCIe2 Data Compression Card 105-000161-03 | eBay

Likewise, getting any sort of a response from Exar (via email/support form) has not panned out either.

Anyone familiar with these and have any ideas for where I might find drivers? The 1845b model apparently shares drivers with many of the older HIFN cards-- but not having much luck there.

One last thought- I have seen these in eBay listed as coming from Dell servers, but can't find a oart number (to go hunting there for drivers...) anyone ecer seen/worked with one of these?

Was hoping to use in a windows environment- but at this point, I would appreciate any ideas or OS options.
Thanks!
-Matt

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
You read my mind, though I had a couple other ideas too, depending on how fast it is in real-world use/acceleration. Regardless, for ~40 bucks on ebay, I figured I could not go too far wrong.

It actually sounds like the specs are pretty impressive, even though only half the speed of the new Intel QuickAssist boards-- the price is VERY low.) Problem is though, I can't seem to find software or drivers anywhere- and it definitely does not appear to be Plug and Play with Win7, Win10 or Server 2012R2. (I don't have any others to test with at the moment.)

I just saw something on a related card that makes me think the Intel Quick Assist API/drivers/etc. *might* actually work with this card- will have to give that a try over the weekend.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
You may have better luck than I did, but the compression extranet registration (took a week to get approved) allows me access to two white papers... And that is it! Very frustrating, IMO, but of course, they don't make any money from eBay/ people buying used, ya know?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
:)
Here is the response from MaxLinear when I inquired about the drivers (HIFN acquired by EXAR who was then acquired by MaxLinear)
may be @Patrick has connections. Not sure if these cheap cards can help the hash rates by offloading some of the crypto work load from the CPU/GPU at a lower power consumption

I don’t believe we will be able to support your request. We require an NDA to supply drivers and documentation. Also, we do not support Windows or FreeBSD. We do support Linux but there would need to be some volume potential. VmWare would be supported by using the linux driver below the VmWare layer. Our product generally requires some level of application integration.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Mike ***
Sr. Manager, Applications Engineering
MaxLinear