Ex Netflix cache servers ??? (sorry no great deal)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
SUPERMICRO CSE-116 SUPERCHASIS 1U RACKMOUNT WITH 1 x E5-2650L 2 x 700W PSU | eBay

Seems like cache servers used by netflix. I can't find the presentation they had a picture of them. Nevertheless whoever here has seen the presentation slides, he will know the following picture.

page_17.jpg

Why I think they are: Netflix used to use 1U supermicro servers as all flash cache with 14 drives - 10 hotswap + 4 inside the cachiss - (just in front of fans like it is in this ebay post).

Can anybody here confirm that these are ex netflix server? I asked the seller, but he doesn't seem to know.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
X9SRH-7F is 1g only.

They'd be loud but a good way for someone to take advantage of a cheap 1U colo deal.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
from my days at a telecom Netflix had a 4U all red system they would stick closer to the end of the network stream to cache all the movies.

I don't think these are Netflix servers.

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
These are not Netflix servers, those are 4U and have either 24 or 48 hard drives in them.

These look like they might be Akamai CDN servers?

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
#4 and #5 I do agree, but 4Us are not the only they use. They also use 1U systems. Please check these slides: Netflix CDN and Open Source (page 11):

netflix.jpg

And those servers pictured in the first topic are 100% netflix. I just can't find the presentation where I got it from.

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
That is right, I had forgotten about the Fast Cache. Those are not as common as the normal 4U OCA.

I am fairly sure that Akamai also uses this hardware platform. I have some pictures of a cache installation somewhere, but I believe it is on my other laptop. I will check when I get home.

Reactions: Yarik Dot

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
That is right, I had forgotten about the Fast Cache. Those are not as common as the normal 4U OCA.

I am fairly sure that Akamai also uses this hardware platform. I have some pictures of a cache installation somewhere, but I believe it is on my other laptop. I will check when I get home.
Would be nice if you shared (at least with me) :)) I am interested in this.