Every Month another cable order

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Home Server ownership reminds me a lot of when I first bought my house. Every weekend was a $100 trip to home depot. Now every month is $100 cable order. No matter how many boxes of unused cables and adapters I seem to have to order another half dozen each month.

Cables are like double A batteries and toys. Batteries and Cables not included.

</rant>

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
LOL I know that feeling. I have 3 or 4 boxes of cables and I still have to order one or two every month or so!

Mark Wilde

Aug 21, 2016
I am just a junior fiber optic technician for a small company, would you mind if I ask why do you need so many cables? For me, I only buy the new cables when needing to upgrade my network or replace the old ones.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If you buy new items and specific cables for those new items when you do builds you likely run into this issue much less... when you're DIYing different motherboards in different chassis or adding more internal drives, etc... you end up needing additional / less common cables for that specific chassis usual usage. Most common seem to be SATA power splitters, molex to sata adapter, and extensions for prettymuch all kinds of things.

Also when you DIY and go to a new network cable type, or suddenly move the server further than then 1M cable allows, etc... amazon is great for about 90% of this stuff thankfully!

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Let's see this month.

2 cables for the lsi 8i card I purchased.
A sata power cable extension for the USB 3.0 card that just arrived
A couple of usb cables to run off my latest usb 3 hub.
A couple of dvid-d to hdmi adapters, an hdmi to display port adapter, a 6 foot hdmi cable.
A 12 outlet power strip so I can plug in another bunch of devices.

At some point it would be nice to rdp into the various configurations that I have and have each cabled up to a complete test environment rather than unplugging one set of devices/hardware and plugging in a different set.

There were a few more but those are the ones that come to the top of my head.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Cat 6 is cheap. Many of the faster ones make for expensive boxes........ every week. I hate more when I've been looking for some adapter I know I have but somehow got misplaced. Grrr.