EU and Networking friends: How to make Cable Modem + Router dumb again?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I've a Kabelmodem 7466CE with WIFI that came with my vodafone subscription for internet. I hate it. I hate there being anything other than just a modem that takes the analog and converts it to digital for use over the RJ45. So I am looking for guidance on if anyone has experience doing this and suggestions.

I don't know how to get it to do the analog to digital conversion, and then just pass those packets along on one or more of the ports (there's 4 on the back since it's a router) so that I can use it with my PF+{OpenBSD|FreeBSD} setup

OR... if anyone knows of a compatible modem for the EU that is all DOCIS compatible that doesn't do any routing that I could buy I'd be all ears.

Last edited:

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Is there a guide for how to do that? And is there a networking standard way to do it if I don’t use pfsense?

I guess I could do double NAT but ugh. I’m guessing the pure modem is banned from their network? Edit: I read the link. Bummer for sure.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
yes they dont want to activate it any more apparently

And no idea on how to do it with your box, for mine its just this
upload_2019-2-23_11-9-20.png

The upper is a specific forward for exposing http to another box, the lower is the exposed host (sophos in my case) which does all the rest

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
So grateful that I have an ISP that give be just a dumb fiber in and Ethernet out modem and a single IPv4 public IP that you simply provide your own router for. (Regular ISP and normal retain product as well)

In the past when I had your situation I found no options when the ISP wanted their device to be a router and would not just bridge the connection.

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
From what I have read double NAT is not worth it.

If I can’t get this to work with my modem I’ll just repurpose the box into a development machine and stick my off the shelf Asus router with Wi-Fi that’s doing double NAT I think and this modem cum router

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
What I had wanted was a stripped down and secure PF based router firewall with the ASUS router in just dumb Wi-Fi mode but I’m not sure how to pull all that off.

Stateside I had a simple cable modem a pfsense box and an ubiquiti AP alas

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Is there a guide for how to do that? And is there a networking standard way to do it if I don’t use pfsense?

I guess I could do double NAT but ugh. I’m guessing the pure modem is banned from their network? Edit: I read the link. Bummer for sure.
I don't read german so the PDF manual wasn't much use for me, but generally these fancy-pants all-in-one jobbies have a setting you can enable called 'bridge mode', which kills absolutely everything on the device except for the modem functions - including all the RJ45 connectors except #1

I've done it several times. I agree, those things are garbage. Bridge mode usually makes them work 1000 times better (with a decent gateway like a Unifi USG or pfSense, etc.)

Edit: I tried this once on an Arris TG862G telephony modem and the VoIP functions still worked, just nothing else but modem/internet.

Also, be advised that the IP that will be available from the modem in bridge mode will be the public IP, so you MUST use a firewall.

Reactions: gigatexal