Ethereal Capital 16x GPU Mining System P106-100-X16 Preview

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kjs

Jan 16, 2018
We were asked not to publish full system details yet especially on the custom engineered bits.
Yes, we are in the midst of formulating and about to submit our patent application, hence the scarce amount of details that can be shared prior to us completing our patent filing.

Reactions: Patrick

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
It seems like great quality parts.... But that isn't necessarily the name of the game for mining. Pricing and performance will be interesting to see but I have a feeling that it is going to be priced too high.

Reactions: MiniKnight

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
For one I want pics! Its still cool to see. 1.7kW or more so it's gotta be a 200-240V powered system.

@StammesOpfer also with the smaller GPUs it's going to cost too much compared to the hashrate. If you could do 1080 Ti's or Vega it'd be significantly more economical. You'd need more PSUs as well unless this is spec'd way over the top.

kjs

Jan 16, 2018
For one I want pics! Its still cool to see. 1.7kW or more so it's gotta be a 200-240V powered system.

@StammesOpfer also with the smaller GPUs it's going to cost too much compared to the hashrate. If you could do 1080 Ti's or Vega it'd be significantly more economical. You'd need more PSUs as well unless this is spec'd way over the top.
Due to BIOS address remapping (BAR) limitations it hasn't been possible to get any more than 14 x 1080 Ti's running in a single system. We have had 14 running at once quite successfully.

As for Vega, we are awaiting EthOS to support before being able to offer these. Definitely on the 'roadmap' however, so stay tuned.

kjs

Jan 16, 2018

Yes, these are designed for 200-250V.

The next version of our system will feature multiple 1200-1400W PSU's and it may be possible to run them on 100-120V connections. Efficiency wise you are better off with the higher voltage however.

kjs

Jan 16, 2018
It seems like great quality parts.... But that isn't necessarily the name of the game for mining. Pricing and performance will be interesting to see but I have a feeling that it is going to be priced too high.
Well, the upfront purchase cost might be considered more expensive than some other lower quality systems, however the payback in terms of lower operational costs and higher levels of uptime compensates for this in my opinion.

These have been designed based on my personal experience building and operating over 250 traditional style open air mining rigs using risers, and enclosed systems such as Pandaminers and other GPU mining systems.

The ability to remotely diagnose issues via the console and remotely reboot and perform OS installs is not something to be overlooked when operating hundreds of units in a remote datacentre.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Due to BIOS address remapping (BAR) limitations it hasn't been possible to get any more than 14 x 1080 Ti's running in a single system. We have had 14 running at once quite successfully.
I'd rather have 14x 1080ti than 16x P106

Well, the upfront purchase cost might be considered more expensive than some other lower quality systems, however the payback in terms of lower operational costs and higher levels of uptime compensates for this in my opinion.

The ability to remotely diagnose issues via the console and remotely reboot and perform OS installs is not something to be overlooked when operating hundreds of units in a remote datacentre.
Fair point that IPMI would be crucial someplace where you can't put hands on the equipment. Also I supposed the Supermicro board really isn't that expensive in the scheme of things at least if you are talking higher end GPUs.

kjs

Jan 16, 2018
I'd rather have 14x 1080ti than 16x P106

Fair point that IPMI would be crucial someplace where you can't put hands on the equipment. Also I supposed the Supermicro board really isn't that expensive in the scheme of things at least if you are talking higher end GPUs.
We will have NVIDIA P104-100 (think 1070 without display ports) and P102-100 (think 1080ti without display ports) available soon.

Reactions: pgh5278 and Patrick