ESXi wont boot from RAID1 SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

denisl

Dec 20, 2014
I was previously booting from USB and decided to move my ESXi install to a pair of new 850 pro SSD's in RAID1. I booted from the ESXi install USB and installed ESXi to the new RAID1 SSD volume I created. That process went fine, but the system will not boot.

I went into the BIOS and here are my current settings:

System won't boot - screen is blank after the Dell Perc H310 screen completes:

I also tried to change the Advanced BIOS settings for the IDE/SATA Configuration as "RAID" but that didn't work either:

I'm stuck - anyone know what's going on here? Why wont my X8DTH-iF motherboard recognize the SSD Volume where I installed ESXi as a bootable device? Also the "BUS 05 Dev 0" listed as the boot disk has H310 virtual raid devices. One is the SSD RAID 1 VD (where I want to boot from) and the other is a SATA RAID10 6 disk VD.

denisl

Dec 20, 2014
Fixed it - I have to VD's on the H310 and in the H310 bios the VD with ESXi was not selected as the bootable device.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The joys of ESXi booting. I remember learning @PigLover's comment the hard way 5 years ago. The bootable bit in RAID gets bad when you have multiple cards :-/

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Best to stick to nice SLC flash sticks (SDHC or USB)! I think dell even support raid-1 of USB/SDHC cards for esxi boot!