ESXI to Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cooldude

Feb 20, 2018
I am looking to move my ESXI server to proxmox. Did anyone do this here?
I will be running Openmediavault VM with snapraid and ZOL for file server.
Other services will be combination of VM's and LXC containers.

vudu

Dec 30, 2017
Yes about 10 years ago. Couldn't be happier. Different VM OS's. Run both Hypervisors in parallel if possible and take your time.

hlhjedsfg

Feb 2, 2018
Yep, long time ago also ! Also using OMV with ZOL (no snapraid) with M1015/SAS2008 in pci-passthrough. And using built-in proxmox ZFS (now with encryption) for VMs storage on some box, classic MDADM + LVM for other box, and NFS to NAS for backup.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
I made the switch about 8 months ago. Could not be happier. For me it removes a lot of restrictions / constraints I ran into with ESXi esp. lack of support for previous generation hardware. I am really glad I made the switch and found it to be solid and stable.

Reactions: vudu

vudu

Dec 30, 2017
Not that I've seen but its been some years. In earlier days the vmdk files could be copied from esx to proxmox after building the machine on proxmox as a fairly painless method of migration. In more recent times I have backed up to shared storage like a NAS and restored from there even using the built in Windows Server Backup tool with success.

hlhjedsfg

Feb 2, 2018
Pretty safe, never go bad for me.

But backup are always mandatory, especially when you do this kind of stuff :D

tomaash

Oct 11, 2016
Europe, Slovakia
You can import vmdk (or even vhdx from HyperV) images to preconfigured Proxmox VM directly from shell with qm importdisk
qm(1)
This process does not touch source vmdk image.

If your guest OS has native VirtIO support, you should have no problems starting the VM with VirtIO disk controller.