ESXi stuck loading 'ipmi_si_drv' after RAM install

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I installed a second 32GB RAM stick in one of my ESXi hosts and now now vShere just hands at 'loading module ipmi_si_drv'. I've even removed the RAM stick I installed, still hangs. I reseated the RAM stick that was already in there, still hangs.

Ideas?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just remembered that I did "upgrade" (actually was a downgrade) my IPMI firmware today and this was the first time I rebooted since. SuperMicro tech support asked me to downgrade because the version shipped with the new FlexATX boards has a java KVM issue.

Right now I'm just waiting for the ESXi to finally boot (I've read it can take 30+ minutes) so I can remove the VIB.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
OK it's been over an hour now and still won't boot. Something is clearly wrong.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The issue was the IPMI firmware. Flashed back to the version that the board shipped with (3.30, which has the java KVM error from the IPMI app) and it boots fine.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I don't know specifics to help, sorry.
I had weird issue like this after changing from RAID1 to single drive, I just did a fresh install and it worked each reboot after that... was very odd.