ESXi SSD Compatibility?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

I plan on building my All-In-One machine soon! I would really like to use ESXi as I want to become more familiar with VMware. The components fully support VT-d and VT-x, and will have the IBM ServeRAID M1015 as pass-through with 8x 3TB Toshiba drives. Also, there will be 2 additional 3TB Toshibas connected to the motherboards onboard Intel SATA controller. I will have these 10x 3TB on a RAIDZ-2 pool.

Now, I also plan to connect a Samsung 830 256GB to the same onboard controller and install ESXi to it. Then I would like to install OI w/ napp-it and some other VM's onto the same SSD. Is this possible and is this how I should be configuring it? I am new to all of this. I am hoping it will work fine with TRIM?

Thank You

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you can, may save you some trouble to do a second IBM ServeRAID M1015 and just pass the controllers through, then leave the Samsung SSD on the motherboard port.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
If I may kindly ask, what kind of possible trouble could adding another M1015 save me? I will never be adding more than 10 drives to this server due chassis limitations.

I'm already way over budget on this project, but that is naturally my fault due to not allocating enough time on researching. :c(

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
You wouldn't be able to pass-through the SATA controller for the additional two drives, as youl would be using it for the ESXi datastore.

If you add another M1015, you can connect the extra two drives to it and pass through the controller as well.

If you only want to use one M1015, you can perhaps run OI as your OS w/ napp-it and then run virtualbox for your VMs?

McKajVah

Nov 14, 2011
Norway
Buy a motherboard with Intel c204 chipset. Most of these have 2xsata-3 and 4xsata-2. On my Tyan motherboard these are seen as separate controllers and you can choose to pass through either of them and use the other for Esxi datastore. Together with the M1015 you will get 10 or 12 drives for pass through and 2 or 4 for Esxi datastore.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Buy a motherboard with Intel c204 chipset. Most of these have 2xsata-3 and 4xsata-2. On my Tyan motherboard these are seen as separate controllers and you can choose to pass through either of them and use the other for Esxi datastore. Together with the M1015 you will get 10 or 12 drives for pass through and 2 or 4 for Esxi datastore.
As far as I know, they are one the same PCI-e device.
You can only pass-through complete devices so that seems not possible.

badatSAS

Nov 7, 2012
Boston, MA
As far as I know, they are one the same PCI-e device.
You can only pass-through complete devices so that seems not possible.
On my Intel S1200BTLR (C204 based) ESXi sees "Intel Corporation Cougar Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller" as a single passthrough capable device, as gea said.

You could always add another PCIe SATA controller, although I haven't seen a lot of detail on using those with VT-d

McKajVah

Nov 14, 2011
Norway
On my Intel S1200BTLR (C204 based) ESXi sees "Intel Corporation Cougar Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller" as a single passthrough capable device, as gea said.

You could always add another PCIe SATA controller, although I haven't seen a lot of detail on using those with VT-d
I'll double check and report back...

McKajVah

Nov 14, 2011
Norway

You are 100% correct. I've been using my Mainboard in IDE-mode and ESXi actually show two different boxes you can "check" individually and pass either one through. But as they are on the same "sub" PCI-adress, it doesn't actually work when you try to connect a disk to the "pass-through" controller.

Hopefully nobody bought anything on my wrong recommandations. I'm sorry.

badatSAS

Nov 7, 2012
Boston, MA
You are 100% correct. I've been using my Mainboard in IDE-mode and ESXi actually show two different boxes you can "check" individually and pass either one through. But as they are on the same "sub" PCI-adress, it doesn't actually work when you try to connect a disk to the "pass-through" controller.

Hopefully nobody bought anything on my wrong recommandations. I'm sorry.

Worst case scenario someone will have to add a PCIe SATA card, still a good chipset =)