ESXi (or any other Hypervisor) and SMB3 Multichannel

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Hello guys,

I searched for nearly two hours now, but I don't seem to use the right "trigger words"

Is there a possibility to run a windows 8, 8.1 or Windows Server 2012R2 machine on a bare metal hypervisor and have the benefit of SMB multichannel on the guest os?

With the Supermicro A1SAM and ESXi 5.5 it doesn't really work (with the settings I have applied, that is)

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Why not use Hyper-V server 2012 R2? You can do the smb3 shares on the hypervisor even.

Or have the HV server use multichannel to connect to storage then just use an external network to take advantage of it.

You can even setup NIC teams in HVS2012R2.

Reactions: Kristian

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Hyper-V was not my first choice because apparently it lacks in terms of Linux support.
But after I have seen that it seems to be possible to install Ubuntu on Hyper-V I think I could give it a try.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Hyper-v 2012r2 has excellent Linux support and the Hyper-v virtualization tools are mainstreamed into the Linux kernel. The comments about Hyper-v having limited Linux support and a historical artifact only...

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Or put another way - modern Linux kernels have the Hyper-V integration components built-in. They work directly out of the box and run very well.

Let's put it this way... I have had more "enterprise" SSDs fail in the last 3 months than issues with Hyper-V Linux VMs die in the last 2 years.

BTW - this site currently is Linux VMs on Hyper-V Server R2.

sorhol

Aug 7, 2014
I am also looking for a setup to take advantage of SMB Multichannel from my desktop. And just like Kristian I cant seem to google this the proper way.
I would like to:
-Have fast filecopy to/from my win 8.1 desktop (dual Intel Pro NICs)
-Have an all-in-one box running EXSI or Hyper-V (box har several Intel Pro NICs)
I cant figure out if this is possible running EXSI or Hyper-V - or I have to make a standard 2012r2 installation?
I was until recently set on a ESXI + ZFS solution, but would really really like the fast transfer speed between server and desktop
Thank in advance,