ESXi Local Storage Replication

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Dec 1, 2012
Hi All,

I currently have two ESXi servers using shared storage on a Synology. To reduce the space required for my equipment I am considering looking at placing my hard drives into my ESXi servers and using local storage. The files on my Synology at the moment are required to be available all the time so I plan on running a Windows file server on each ESXi host and using Windows DFS. In addition to my file server I also plan on running a bunch of VM’s for my lab, these are important but not critical. Are there any good free methods to enable real-time replication of guests so in the event one host goes down my guests can be spun back up in a known good state?

Any other suggestions to my setup would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Adam

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Adam - I have noticed that I always end up with replicating to a NAS device. When I do not, it bites me.

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks Patrick, I've had that same experience in the past but I hoped those these issues were becoming less common with services like VMWare SRM, vReplication or similar. I have always wanted to have an excuse to cluster my DS3612xs :)