ESXi boot drive on SuperMicro X10SDV-F?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I wound up buying one of these because I need to passthrough a USB flash drive to my unRAID VM and didn't want to use any of my external USB ports for that. I think I'm leaning towards the SATA DOM for the ESXi boot drive and I'm going to use a fast M.2 drive for VM storage.

specv

May 22, 2015
I wound up buying one of these because I need to passthrough a USB flash drive to my unRAID VM and didn't want to use any of my external USB ports for that. I think I'm leaning towards the SATA DOM for the ESXi boot drive and I'm going to use a fast M.2 drive for VM storage.
Why not the external usb ports?

My set will be exactly the same. 500GB M.2 SSD and a 32GB satadom. I evaluated the 16/32/64 sata dom and the 32GB has the best price/performance ratio assuming you dont need more than 32GB of space..

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Why not the external usb ports?

My set will be exactly the same. 500GB M.2 SSD and a 32GB satadom. I evaluated the 16/32/64 sata dom and the 32GB has the best price/performance ratio assuming you dont need more than 32GB of space..
Just prefer to keep those open. You need 32GB for an ESXi boot drive? Seems like a waste of space to me.

specv

May 22, 2015
16GB is almost just as much of a waste if you look at it that way. What I liked about the 32/64 was they are twice as fast as the 16GB.

Imgur

So not that I need the extra 16GB or even that the extra 250mb/sec makes a difference it just seemed like better value. Though my plans is to simply install ESXi if i installed something else it doesn't hurt having better performance for a minimal cost increase. I choose to not go with the 64GB only because it was significantly more expensive, it didn't add additional performance and the extra space was already unnecessary.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
16GB is almost just as much of a waste if you look at it that way. What I liked about the 32/64 was they are twice as fast as the 16GB.

Imgur

So not that I need the extra 16GB or even that the extra 250mb/sec makes a difference it just seemed like better value. Though my plans is to simply install ESXi if i installed something else it doesn't hurt having better performance for a minimal cost increase. I choose to not go with the 64GB only because it was significantly more expensive, it didn't add additional performance and the extra space was already unnecessary.
Ahh I see. For me it would probably be either the 16GB or 64GB because the only reason I'd need more is to install something like Windows for Hyper-V and 32GB probably wouldn't be large enough.

specv

May 22, 2015
Ahh I see. For me it would probably be either the 16GB or 64GB because the only reason I'd need more is to install something like Windows for Hyper-V and 32GB probably wouldn't be large enough.
looking at it that way you are correct, the 64GB probably makes the most sense.