ESXi and HBA temps monitoring

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dodge

Dec 28, 2019
I flashed a perc-310 to lsi 9211 IT Mode with the intention of passing it through to a Linux vm, so I can utilise some existing ext4 disks I'll be pulling from an old Gen 7 HP Microserver. It's in a tower case at home so not the kind of cooling these cards would get in a datacenter, but I have attached a 40mm fan. If I install the megaraid utilities on the vm, would I get access to the hba temps? Or do I need to find a way of monitoring from esxi? If relevant, it's an am4 x-470 motherboard, not a server board (budget...).

Rain

May 13, 2013
The Perc H310 (and all of the similar 9211 cards) don't actually generate a lot of heat. The issue is the heatsink is small since the assumption is it will be installed a in a server chassis with plenty of airflow.

If you strapped a 40mm fan to the H310, I wouldn't even worry about monitoring temps. It will be fine.

Reactions: dodge

dodge

Dec 28, 2019
That's good to know because neither storcli64 or perccli64 will see the controller in a CentOS7 VM to which I have passed through the controller. Need to get a disk in and check it is actually working!

Edit: typo

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
That's good to know because neither storcli64 or perccli64 will see the controller in a CentOS7 VM to which I have passed through the controller. Need to get a disk in and check it is actually working!

Edit: typo
perccli, storcli, and megacli will not see cards running IT firmware (they would if it was running the stock dell-branded megaraid firmware though). if there's a tool that does (and sees things like temps), I'm drawing a blank on them

mysy

Apr 2, 2020
CHINA
If you strapped a 40mm fan to the H310, I wouldn't even worry about monitoring temps. It will be fine.

Net-Runner

Feb 25, 2016
Since HBA mode is MUCH more comfortable for those cards compared to RAID (especially if parity arrays are present), I wouldn't bother about the temperature at all. Having an additional fan for this purpose is probably a bit thick :)