esxi 8.x ???

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
has anyone seen any news on the next version of vsphere? I was told by nvidia/mellanox that their new connectx-7 nics would be supported on vsphere 8.x and not the current 7.x.

marv

Apr 2, 2015

I googled this chinese site which contains link to beta build downloadable from Baidu, but sadly I dont have account there

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I just tried but as you mentioned, it looks like you need some type of Baidu account. I was hoping by now it would be available to test.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I would definitely interested in at least the vsphere iso file.
Thanks for helping

marv

Apr 2, 2015
I dont understand if everything in this file will not not be detected, or just mellanox and FC stuff mentioned in article and rest is just deprecated. But I see there sata controllers from chipsets for socket 2011-3 and older, many older intel network cards etc.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
I heard they dropped support for a lot of old hardware...and most homelabs ARE old hardware
That is why I dropped VMware. Since about 6.7, any hardware older than about 3 months is not supported. A really stupid business model someone came up with.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
That is why I dropped VMware. Since about 6.7, any hardware older than about 3 months is not supported. A really stupid business model someone came up with.
it's closer to 3 years, but I do agree. This beats the whole point of the software to be able to remove hardware itself from the equation.
vSphere 8 release has been so quiet I barely even heard about it. This is very much VMWare does not put much trust in their own product.
In addition, my opinion is VMWare is severely lacking in innovation. Containers should've been virtual machines 2.0 for them, and these should've been available in plain jane vsphere, running natively on the ESXi host. Figuring out how to do it secure is their job.
VIC has been such a massive clusterduck that even they realized and canceled it. Tanzu isn't much better.

I've lost hope that VMWare and in-general on-prem Infrastructure has any long prosperity in its future. It won't die, but it would be limited to specific cases. In other words - If you're looking to get VMWare certifications today - my 2c - DON'T.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
my purpose with testing 8.x is somewhat the opposite. I have a newer mellanox/nvidia cx-7 nic that is only supposed to be supported starting with esx8.
Sort of tangential is the rumor that esx8 will incorporate some of the fling capabilities which may actually make it easier for some of the home labs.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I kind of agree and dissagree.
From a homelab perspective its a pain in the ass - and it would be awesome to be able to run the latest software on any kind of old hardware.

From a business perspective that uses vmware its kind of a pain in the ass, but not as much, since many companies swap hardware every 3-4 year anyway - and you do not nilly willy upgrade major versions of any software, i.e. if you were running esxi 6.7 you do not immediately install 7 when it comes out - you test and assess and most likely wait until a couple of patches has been made that fixes some of the almost guaranteed child diseases.

From VMWare's perspective it makes perfect sense.
They can make better software by not having to support a huge ecosystem of old hardware.
Having only to test and support 1k different moving parts instead of 10k moving parts is an obvious win.
They will lose some customers for sure, but as a software developer I know how much of a pain in the ass it is to support old "whatever" - because it limits how you can build new features, since you need to make sure that you do not break anything on the old platforms.

Reactions: BennyT

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
vSphere v8 GA is available today. woo hoo. Checked the VMware Compatibility Guide and it says all of my hardware (most of which is older than 3 yrs) is compatible with v8

Xeon scalable gen 1
intel x722 10BASE-T NICs
LSI SAS3008 HBA (9300-8i)

It's not available yet from VMUG Advantage store.

I won't be going to it any time soon, but maybe when it reaches 8u1 or 8u3. I'm currently at ESXi v7u3c 19193900 and VCSA v7u3h 20395099 and only upgraded to v7 earlier this year from v6.7.

Last edited:

mirol

Jan 6, 2018
There is any chance someone give link to get Unified Access Gateway 2209 for vSphere, Amazon AWS and Google Cloud (Non-fips) ?