ESXi 7.0 compatible RAID card that can connect to R710 backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

imrazor

Dec 31, 2017
I currently have a Dell PowerEdge R710 that I am trying to install ESXi 7.0 on to (currently 6.7u1 is loaded.) I worked around the legacy Westmere CPUs, but am still running into a compatibility issue with the PERC 6/I RAID module in the R710. It simply is not supported due to vmklinux drivers being dropped.

Some older RAID cards are supported, like the H310 and H345, but these cards seem to have different connectors than the PERC 6/I and don't look like they'd connect to the R710's backplane. Is there a supported RAID card that would connect, or perhaps some sort of adapter that could sit in between the RAID card and the old school R710 backplane?

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
So from what i see the backplane should be using a SFF-8087 type connector to connect from the Raid/HBA card. and the Perc 6/I Raid is using the older SFF-8484 with a converted SFF-8087 connector.

So in theory you should be able to use a newer Raid card that uses SFF-8087 cables you might just have the issue with the straight cables in your case, maybe a right/90 degree angle could solve this...

Then the Q would be do you need/want raid or are you looking for HBA access?

imrazor

Dec 31, 2017
Since ESXi doesn't support software RAID, I was wanting to put in a hardware RAID solution. I could do something more convoluted, like set up ESXi on the internal SATA port and then use PCIe passthrough for the controller to something like FreeNAS. But from what I gather virtualizing FreeNAS is not a recommended solution.

I did find this video on Youtube about upgrading to an H200. Luckily the R710 he's working on matches my config exactly.

I guess I don't have to have ESXi on a RAID setup since we're talking about a homelab setup, but I currently have ESXi 6.7 on a RAID 10 array. I'd have to sacrifice the extra speed and redundancy to migrate to ESXi 7.0.

EDIT: In the video he mentions the H310 (which is supported on ESXi 7.0), but it creates some logistical issues in the integrated RAID slot. Even so, an unflashed H310 may be my best bet.

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
From what I have seen around here, FreeNAS with a passthroughed IT mode controller, is fairly normal. Mind you it is becoming rarer, because solutions like Proxmox gives you both ZFS and virtualization, but it is definitely a thing :)
My understanding is that it is not virtualizing freenas that is not recommended, but rather the use of RDM or volumes to provide storage, ZFS wants/needs more or less direct access to the disks, which is something an IT mode controller that has been passthroughed to a VM can give you.

I have no idea about cabling or anything like that for your server specifically, but I would imagine your best bet is something based on the SAS2308 controller if the controller connector is a SFF-8087.
That all said, if you passthrough the controller to a freenas vm, I see no reason why you couldn't make do with a SAS2008 controller (just keep in mind that ESXi 7.0 do not have support for it).

The H310 will not work directly with ESXi 7.0, because it uses a sas2008 controller, which lost support in 7.0 (but again maybe it will work via a FreeNAS vm).

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
I have run FreeNas/Solaris based OSes with Passthrough and never had issues.. the only disadvantages is chicken/egg if using that storage as local Shared storage (i.e. ESXi has to be working correctly, then you have to have a local storage away from the raid card to use for FreeNas then boot that to power on the shared storage... (Nested fun) but its very possible and TBH i never suffered from performance degradation like that..

Just remember if passing through to a VM like Freenas DO NOT USE RAID CARDS... use HBA Cards as Raid cards will have issues.. if using in ESXi then Raid cards are good but make sure u have the battery backup to remove a lot of the caching issues and slownesses of raid cards due to not having the cache card//batterys

For some future proofing i would aim for a 3008 based controller or something in that line as they do make converers from 12Gb SAS connectors to 8087 cables.. I used them a lot in my Norco Case that i sold off.. Worked perfectly.