Esxi 6.7 / OmniOS 151028

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
so I’ve been tinkering with my ol’C2100, and apparently it runs 6.7 u1 at least as far as I can determine - stable.

I’ve been on 5.5 and 151016? For a while now. File storage duty and PLEX and in the future running cameras on zoneminder on centos.

What are some compelling reasons to bother upgrading to 6.7 aside from the webui (which I’m still hearing mixed reviews about). Any must haves for a home user?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
VMware switched to the new Web-UI in ESXi 6.0 where it was more or less a pre beta so the old Windows vsphere app was still working. Now with 6.7 the Web-UI is the only option, feature complete and quite stable (only problem left seems that you have to reload the webpage sometimes prior editing something), so 6.7 u1 is a must if you want to upgrade from 5.x to 6.x

Beside that there are new functions, new virtual drivers (ex Nvme),
better integration of raw disks over an SAS HBA, newer tools ex for Solaris 11.4 etc.

If you want to update OmniOS, you should update ESXi as well.
My newest ova. template with OmniOS 151028 requires ESXi 6.7

Update of ESXi is quite easy.
Download newest iso and boot from it, select update with preserve datastore and settings.
If you do not have a dvd drive, use the tool Rufus to create a bootable USB stick from an iso.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Well, that's good news that upgrading is simple. I had been pondering how to do it, and if I wanted to get another SSD to run parallel, but I guess that solves that hurdle.

Setting up 151028 may be the biggest hurdle then. I don't recall getting the template running being 5-minutes. Any way to preserve the settings of the existing template? scheduled jobs, email settings, etc.?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can run a backup job in napp-it (use current napp-it 18.12)
With napp-it Pro you can restore settings from backup via menu User > Restore
(The backup job saves all settings to the datapool/backup_appliance)

With napp-it free, save/ restore /var/web-gui/_log/*
If you have created users, restore or re-add them with same uid/gid

chune

Oct 28, 2013
you may want to run your CPU by the vmware HCL. I'm pretty sure they dropped lga1366 support after 6.5 officially, unofficially it may still work fine

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Looks like it will accept 6.7. Installed without any errors that I can see. Have yet to try the ova, but I would suspect it'll go too.