Esxi 6.5, x10sdv-4c-7tp4f, Samsung843 - slow performance?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Just started burning in my new AIO server. But im seeing some Odd behaviour.

Noticed that uploading a Windows ISO to the datastore was painfully slow - took like 20-30 mins to upload a 2k12r2 ISO.. noticed that deployment the VCSA from my desktop was slow aswell.. and now im trying to install a win7 VM to test it out, which is taking forever aswell.

Is there something im not knowingly ****ing up in my 6.5?

First VM i made, was an unraid VM with USB passthrough, and a couple xpenology vm's one with PCI-e passthrough. But they are all shut down at the moment..

BIOS and BMC is updated to latest versions from SM. Box is loaded with 64 gig ram. 6.5 had the Intel 10 Ethernet drivers injected. They are only running 1g to my old HP switch though..

Any thoughts much apreciated!

m_b

Feb 26, 2017
Are you using the onboard SATA ports? If so, you may want to read this; it looks like the new ahci driver doesn't work that well with Lynx Point controllers and you can get better performance by going back to the previous version. I had the same problem with my ESXi server until I changed the ahci driver - storage has been a lot faster (and stable) ever since.

Reactions: K D and maze

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Are you using the onboard SATA ports? If so, you may want to read this; it looks like the new ahci driver doesn't work that well with Lynx Point controllers and you can get better performance by going back to the previous version. I had the same problem with my ESXi server until I changed the ahci driver - storage has been a lot faster (and stable) ever since.
Seems to do the trick - thanks again :)

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Thanks. Didn't realize i had this issue. Noticeable difference in performance after changing the driver.

Reactions: maze