ESXI 6.5, Windows 10 HTPC sleep mode or idle?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
One box is serving several functions including running win 10 pro for htpc function. This is used for 1-3 hours most days and some days unused at all.

Windows 10 (1803) has the most current updates with further updates fully disabled.

At the end of the viewing session (kodi) I can either just turn the tv off, or put windows 10 to sleep. Hibernation is not enabled so no worries of excessive ssd writes.

From a cpu usage perspective, idle appears to be ~1.5-2% (i5 6600k) according to vsphere vm monitor. Power usage wise according to the ups appears the same whether windows is idling or sleeping. The ups report isn't very precise. It reports in terms of %, where each % point is ~8.1watts. Not sure how it's rounding.

So, what do folks think about leaving it just idle or putting it to sleep?

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
Most computer with a good power supply should use <1W in sleep mode and I have yet seen a standard desktop build to use less than 30W.

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
Bare metal OS sleep and one under esxi is not the same thing. Not sure what the power supply has to do with this. Esxi OS is still powered and managing other vm's.

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
Bare metal OS sleep and one under esxi is not the same thing. Not sure what the power supply has to do with this. Esxi OS is still powered and managing other vm's.
Sorry, misunderstood. If your Windows is running on ESXi, there's no point putting it to sleep.

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
Thus the reason for this thread. With windows running, cpu usage & power consumption is higher. Windows is used for htpc, typically 1-3hrs/day. After more observations, windows cpu usage varies depending what's left open. If I leave a browser open with some tabs, then idle is more like 5-10% vs 1-2%.

Goal is to save electricity as this box is on 24/7. Unless there's negative side effects, I've been putting the windows vm to sleep after watching tv.