ESXI 6.0 usb card Passthrough -> unrecoverable NMI

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by sirca, May 14, 2018.

1. sirca

sirca New Member

Hi!
    First of all sorry for my bad english! :)
    I have a HPE Proliant Ml30 gen9 (firmware updated to latest version), and I tried to add a pcie usb card.
    I tried both a Via VL805 based and a Renesas μPD72020 based.
    I have installed the card and passthrough it to Windows 10 and Scientific Linux 7.5 both 64bit versions.
    With the Renesas all seems ok, but if I connect a usb 3.0 external HDD, every time I turn on the disk I got always a PSOD and in ilo log (hpe ipmi) I found a unrecoverable NMI and a pcie error.
    With the VL805 I got only one time PSOD and unrecoverable NMI log, but every time I shutdown the Windows 10 VM, this cannot restart until the next ESXi reboot.
    If I does not passthrough the usb card and instead pass only connected HDD device to VMs all is OK.
    Thinking the usb card is broken I tried it with the same server but installing Linux Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit on bare metal and all is OK.
    Note that I have a second Proliant ML310 gen8 and I can pass successfully both AMD FirePro 4900 and a second Renesas usb 3.0 pcie card to a Windows 10 64bit VM (I used pciHole.start = "1200" pciHole.end = "2200")
    On both servers I use ESXi 6.0U3 free version but on the ML30 I tried also 6.5 U1 version.
    HPE Insight Diagnostic 3 hours run reports no faulty hardware.
    Can you help me with the NMI error??
    Thank you in advance.
    Best regards from Rome.