ESXI 6.0 Randomly Locks Up

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

asintado08

Sep 16, 2014
I'm new with esxi. I'm not sure where to start or where to look for logs. I have a esxi 6 that randomly locks up. It could go for days or weeks without locking up. Sometimes it will lock up after a few hours after restart. When the host locks up, the keyboard is not working. I reinstalled the esxi 6.0 and just installed pfsense and my domain controller to test. It is still locking up. The only thing that I haven't test is to downgrade to esxi 5.5 or install windows hyper v server to see if it is a hardware problem. Any suggestion where to look for logs?

x10slm+-ln4f
32gb ram.
E3-1271 v3
two 256 SSD.
the esxi is installed on a cruzer fit usb stick.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I thought the system logs were exportable from the Client. File/ Export/ System Logs.
Anyway, ESXi rarely if ever completely locks up in my experience. It is sometimes known for wandering off the beaten track and weird things begin happening, but no response to a directly attached keyboard would suggest that it's the bare metal host that's locking up rather than the software. Make sure everything is seated properly, RAM, CPU etc and make sure there is good thermal contact with heatsinks/ coolers etc. Immediately it locks up have a poke around in the bios/ IPMI and see what the temperatures of things are sitting at, it could be poor airflow or something causing an overheat, or a bad power supply :)

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Are you on the latest version of ESXi 6? There was a nasty bug that had similar symptoms in the early builds that was fixed in U1a I think.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Are you on the latest version of ESXi 6? There was a nasty bug that had similar symptoms in the early builds that was fixed in U1a I think.
I have similar issue in the past and the fix was to change the power management policy to full performance.
In my case for weird reason when the server idle it would lock up, when there's alot of load (benchmark or alike) it would be fine.
Initially I thought it was memory, but after running multiple pass of memtest it proved that its not really it.
Change your power management policy to full performance and see.

asintado08

Sep 16, 2014
Yes. I am on the latest version.

I have similar issue in the past and the fix was to change the power management policy to full performance.
In my case for weird reason when the server idle it would lock up, when there's alot of load (benchmark or alike) it would be fine.
Initially I thought it was memory, but after running multiple pass of memtest it proved that its not really it.
Change your power management policy to full performance and see.
I might have actually figured it out. I ran a memtest and it locked up at around 20 mins. I tried one mem at a time in each slot, it is working properly. I put back all the mems and it is now working in memtest.

I left my host on before I went to work. I will check it later. If it is still the same thing, I will change the power management policy in bios.